Canon MX870

Peterpoose

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX870
Hi folks,

Recently I was printing with my MX870 and it just stopped working. I tried swapping the power leads and it is still showing the same flashing signal. I looked this up online at it says its paper or ink? Now this makes no sense to me as I have had ink and paper run out on me and that is normally shown on the main control screen.

The printer doesn't power on, all that happens is this little triangle with a lightning sign flashes and according to the Canon Manual its ink or paper lol?

I have circled the part that is flashing.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance for your time :)

2ufulxy.jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I guess the printer flashes a number of times, then pauses and repeat the flashes. The number of flashes is a code telling which error the printer has encountered, so what is the number of flashes?

Peterpoose

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX870
Thank you for your reply :)

It actually is not flashing, it is just constantly on?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thank you for your reply :)

It actually is not flashing, it is just constantly on?
Could you turn off your printer and leave it off for a couple of minutes, then turn it back on again but this time pay attention to this little orange light and see if it flashes at all, if it does then count them..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
This kind of error message is not covered in the service manual, so I cannot figure out what is wrong.

Operator call errors are indicated by a constant warning light, plus an error message on the LCD display or the computer monitor.

Service call errors are indicated by a number of flashes of the warning light followed by a flash of the power light. This flashing repeats. The number of flashes of the warning light is a code that indicates the error.

This behaviour might mean that the logic board has become defective meaning dead printer. Maybe it could also mean that the power supply cannot start properly due to a short circuit in the print head. This error will most likely also ruin the logic board.

The service manual is found here: http://elektrotanya.com/canon_pixma_mx870_sm.pdf/download.html

For download see this instruction: http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...-post-them-here-sticky.5071/page-9#post-36684

Peterpoose

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX870
Thanks guys!

I unplugged it and plugged it back in after a couple of minutes, it flashed like 4 times properly and then it just flickers millions of times constantly lol

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Four regular flashes could mean a purge unit error, see the service manual page 11/63. But sadly the "million times flicker" indicates an electronic failure to me.

Peterpoose

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX870
Thank you, does this mean the printer is knackered?

I mean I paid nearly £400 for it if I remember, is it an easy repair?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Sadly I don't know.

I find the price of £ 400 hard to believe. The print head QY6-0073 is also used in the "5 cartridge entry level" iP3600. I think the iP3600 sold in Denmark for less than DKK 400 or £ 40. The multifunction MP540 also using this print head sold for DKK 500 or £50.

Peterpoose

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX870
Is there anything a complete novice can try to do? Only thing I notice at the back when I open the cartridge part is to the back right side black plastic which moves and I am not sure if this thin paper like black plastic should be tucked back or out? It probably has nothing to do with it but I thought I would just ask :)