Canon MX860 Ink Absorber message

kbrod7

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX860
Hi All, I am new here and trying to reset my "Ink Absorber is Full" message that comes up every time I want to print. I have emptied the ink absorber and dried it. I have tried resetting it by holding the stop button and power and then stop 2x. Brings up a message saying to call for service. It appears the MX860 requires service tool software in order to reset this annoying message. Does anyone know if there is another way to reset? Thanks!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I wonder what you emptied and dried, maybe the purge pads that are part of the purge unit?

A service manual and parts catalog in one PDF file is found here.

The ink absorbers are some pieces of a felt like material that are buried deep inside the printer at the bottom of the case. See page B-13 position 16 in the PDF. For dismantling the printer to get access to the absorbers see page 24/64 and on. See page 34/64 for the absorber change. See page 46 for service mode operations. The parts number for the absorber kit is QY5-0257-000 if you want to search the web for one.

To reset the absorber counter you need a service tool. I recommend v3400 for your printer. This post has working links to the service tool. If you change the number of presses of the stop/resume button from five to two then you can use this instruction for the reset.

Note that the service tool only works with Windows, you cannot use MacOS or Linux and a USB connection is needed, wireless connection cannot be used. Only the printer you want to reset must be connected to the computer. Other printers connected to the computer can prevent the service tool from working even if they are turned off.

I think new absorbers will be difficult or impossible to find, but the old absorbers can be rinsed using lots of warm, not hot water. Good rubber or PVC gloves are recommended.

Some say you can get away with resetting the absorber counter just once without changing or cleaning the absorbers, others say you risk a nasty ink spill when the absorbers overflow. Some king of tray under the printer to contain a possible ink leak might be a good idea.

The only way to reset the absorber counter (D-value) is from service mode using a suitable service tool, even if some YouTubers might claim otherwise and show some strange procedures!

Edit: Here is a thread about the same topic.

Last edited:

kbrod7

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX860
Hi Peter, I removed the plastic tray and the ink pads and cleaned and dried all. Is there a reservoir tank or something I missed? I did not see one. I will take a look at the service manual. Thanks for this information! It is greatly appreciated.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
There is no waste ink tank in the printer. The ink absorbers are some sheets of felt or similar material inside the printer at the bottom of the casing.

But after resetting the absorber counter you might install an external waste ink tank, either a DIY one or a commercially manufactured one for like one of these. But these tanks seem to be made for Epson printers only, so better ask the company's support if it can be adapted to your printer before buying one.

Last edited: