Canon MP970 U043 error

myprintersucks

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Does anyone know how to resolve this "following ink tank cannot be recognized" issue?

My PGBK 5 ink tank ran dry, so I bought a new one and installed it (correctly). I got this error. I contacted Canon, who sent a replacement ink tank. I attempted to install that one, but the error persists. I cannot even bypass the error to utilize the scanner function, let alone print!

I tried re-installing the blank tank, but that one is no longer recognized, either. I cleaned the contacts with isopropyl alcohol, but still nothing.

Anything, short of taking it in for service? This seems like a ridiculous problem to have....

LN

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi. I had this problem and dealt with it for a week. I too thought what a waste that I might had to get rid of this machine due to one error that disables the whole thing. Canon sent me replacement ink as well and didn't work. I read all the forums from every website and tried everything everyone suggested and nothing worked. Then, I got curious and was able to find a mirror to look at the chip reader (on my MP600, you can't see it unless you have a mirror). When I was able to finally see the chip reader, I immediately saw what the problem was! One of the prongs (or whatever it's called) for the chip reader (there are 4) was bent outwards! No wonder it couldn't recognize the ink cartridge. So, I took a small flat head and bend it back into alignment. My printer works now!!! Just did this yesterday evening and I was siked! Hope this helps. :)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
myprintersucks..

LN wrote:- One of the prongs (or whatever it's called) for the chip reader (there are 4) was bent outwards! No wonder it couldn't recognize the ink cartridge. So, I took a small flat head and bend it back into alignment. My printer works now!!!
might be on to something there.

I used to touch a small screw driver off the four little contacts on the printhead and short them out that worked for me.
You could try and remove all the cartridges from your printer, then close the lid and wait for a screen message. Open the lid again and insert just one cartridge, close the lid and wait again for the message to appear. Repeat the procedure till all the cartridges are in. Try start with the PGBK 5.. ;)

ajp

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks!
I have a Cannon MP530
I used the back of my ipod to use as a mirror messed with it, lifted the little prong sensors, pulled the plug turned it back on and it worked....for now atleast