Canon MP640 problem

MargM

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP640
Hi from the very wet NSW Central Coast . Have just joined this forum hoping there's a SKS who can advise a 'how to fix'. I went to do a 'print screen' a second or so before my computer was fully on line and caused a printer error message of B200 Printer error has occurred unplug the power cord contact service centre.

Never had this happen before ????? HELP please

Bye

MargM

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
There’s really not much you can do for your printer when it gets this error, but try this anyway.

Turn on the printer and lift the top lid when the print head moves to the centre just remover the power plug.

Then take out all of the carts and print head and close the lid again, now power on the printer and lift the top lid then install only the print head and close the lid.

Now this time lift the lid again and install all of the carts, and if you still have the B200 error after this then it’s time to think about buying a new printer, sorry..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
According to the service manual page 11/54 one cause for the error is bad electric contact between the contact springs in the print head carriage and the contact pads on the circuit board on the print head. So you could try removing the print head and clean the contact springs and pads, using a rag moistened with an electronics contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol.

But most likely the print head is defective and a new print head might help. But when a canon print head fails, there is a risk that it damages the logic board. A damaged logic board can damage a new print head, so replacing the print head is a gamble, and I cannot tell your chances for success.

The print head parts number for the MP640 is QY6-0072 if you want to search for one. The service manual is found here: http://www.bendata.de/Downloads/Canon/mp640_e.pdf

Canon print heads can fail for no apparent reason, especially when old. I see no way a keyboard command to copy the screen image to the clipboard can damage the printer, whether the computer has finished its booting tasks or not. That the printer failed when you pressed the PrintScreen key must be a coincidence. You have done nothing wrong.

MargM

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP640
Many thanks for this info.............. Taking out the ink carts and putting them back is no hassle but messing around with printer heads is beyond this gmas nerdiness ! I phone a printer repairer and then Canon, Monday morning........ Monday afternoon I bought a new MG5560 printer and did a deal with the left over ink cartridges from my Canon P640.

Bye

MargM NSW