1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: The Epson RPM quality option - does it offer a benefit ?
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Canon MP620

Discussion in 'Canon InkJet Printers' started by barfl2, Nov 4, 2018.

1. Nov 4, 2018
    barfl2

barfl2 Print Addict

Long time away got the 5100 error yesterday after a long trouble free period. Switched off for several hours and the error message gone. I am convinced it is connected to the paper feed arrangement because it will often feed several sheets at once.

Now at complete standstill. all wireless settings OK. wired direct makes no differerence, the printer just shows error tried troubleshooter which could not find the answer.

Perhaps PeterBJ might have an idea.

2. Nov 5, 2018
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP4300 + Epson scanner
    My first guess was that the problem is caused by the timing strip, see this clip from the service manual in a post by stratman, but maybe not. I checked the older thread from February and noticed that the error seems to be intermittent. I also noticed this :
    A dirty timing strip cannot cause an intermittent error or can it?. Also notice that mikling also has experienced intermittent errors 5100.

I have got a couple of MP540 with defective print heads. I'm going to dump them. They have the same timing strip that is used in the MP620, so If you would like to change the timing strip you can have one for free if you send me your postal address in a conversation.

The service manual has some instructions for disassembly. I guess you already have the manual, else you find one here.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    stratman and The Hat like this.
  3. Nov 6, 2018
    barfl2

barfl2 Print Addict

Thank you for reply, I checked strip looked fine apart from the original mark mentioned which is in the park area. but nevertheless cleaned it with Isopropanol and will try again. Printer has excellent test print page been fine for some time. I have tried adding additional printer I.e. MP640 but I get
    the same error message. tried factory reset but no joy. It looks like the old girl has come to the end of its useful life. Just refilled it as well. I would imagine this is a software glitch somewhere. wireless connections fine.

4. Nov 6, 2018
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP4300 + Epson scanner
    @barfl2 See this for an example of what problems a little irregular spot on a timing strip can cause. I have saved and cleaned a timing strip for you, just send me a conversation if you want it. Unhooking the timing strip was easy, I think installing it will not be. You might need to remove the scanner and probably also the sides of the casing. There is of course no guarantee that it will correct the error, but I think it is worth giving it a try.