Canon MP560 magenta problem

eozsoy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon mp560
Hi,

Hi, I use ocp ink for refilling with german method. The cartridges are cli 521, printer is canon mp560 which I bought 4 years ago.
There are light streaks on magenta test print. No problem in other colors.
I tried light cleaning and deep cleaning.
Is this clogged printer head or ink starvation or some other problem.
What do you recommend?

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0001a.jpg
    IMG_0001a.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 432

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
If you look at the other magenta and cyan strips there appears to be patchiness on most of them to varying degrees. This may mean ink flow problems in general, rather than individual head failures. I would check everything from cartridges to print head elements and also the ink itself. Avoid printing full images until the issue is resolved or you will almost certainly end up with head failure.

Try using an OEM cartridge and ink, in the magenta channel in another test print.

eozsoy

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon mp560
Thank you for your quick response,

The vertical large patches originate from the scanner, they are absent on the original test printout.
The only problem is the thin white streaks on dark magenta strip.
Is this printout typical for a clogged print head?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@eozsoy, to get a better idea as to what’s going on, can you provide us with a bit more information please, like OEM carts/inks, compatible carts, refillable carts or OEM carts refilled by yourself, and if so which inks ?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The streaks may be magnified or hidden by the scanner artifact that causes the Magenta horizontal stripe to appear blocky. Could you re-scan the nozzle check and then crop the Magenta stripe only so we can see an enlarged image?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The new enlarged image unfortunately adds no new information. There is alteration of white striping, skipping every other "block" in the horizontal Magenta stripe (the blocks usually being an artifact from scanning and/or converting to an image file) which could indicate an electronic malfunction in either the print head or logic assay board inside the printer.

1) Do you see any white striping - missing ink - in your print outs, meaning other than the nozzle check itself?
If so, please scan and post the image.

2) Do all your nozzle checks look like this, meaning the same? Have there been any changes between nozzle checks, for instance, getting better or worse over time?

3) Have you tried a different Magenta cartridge, preferably a new one or a known properly functioning one, to see if this might be ink starvation?

The print head for the Canon MP560 is part number QY6-0073-000. It may be possible to find a new, unmolested, in original packaging, but I suspect that Canon has stopped manufacturing these (5 year manufacturing cycle for print heads) and what you are likely to see are clever refurbished and repackaged to appear as new print heads out of China. These refurbs seem to have a significant failure rate out of the box. Googling on "QY6-0073-000" you might find a new one, but be careful.

The point here is that just because you see this anomaly in the nozzle check does not mean your images will be affected, or, the issue is not a printer killer for your personal use. However, continued use with a cartridge that is starving the print head of ink will result in further damage, so try a different Magenta to be sure. Know that printing anything other than nozzle checks will risk nozzle burnouts if the issue is ink starvation.

Also, if you want to be thorough, you could try soaking the print head in liquid dishwashing soap and water in a bowl, with either the solution filled to just above the ink inlet ports of the upright print head, or, the print head sitting on top of a saturated wad of paper towels. There are many ways people have cleaned their print heads, so try what you think seems good for you. Just make sure to thoroughly rise the print head and completely DRY the print head out - especially the electronics!!! - before reinstalling it back in the printer or you'll risk a short and fatal malfunction.

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have the same printer and have had consistent problems with Magenta. I also usually use the German method but do sometimes find ink flow a problem. I have been using the same set of carts for over 18months now, and refill as soon as I get the low warning and the Magenta was a top fill type which whilst I found difficult to completely fill up with inky bubbles going everywhere, it solved my Magenta starvation problems.

But last time I tried another mint Magenta cart using German method for ease of filling, and once again I had ink flow problems. As soon as it ran low I found my old faithful which funnily enough filled easily, and my ink flow problem has gone.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I also dislike the German refill method, I tended to get mixed results when using this method, but my biggest problem was I manages to cover myself in ink, Ouch... :oops:

Top fill does go wrong sometimes especially when I am not concentrating enough... :(