Canon MP560 Ink Absorber does not appear to refit correctly - Apologies - Misled by Canon, problem solved!

Hanger18

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP560
Hi All - Yep, I realise that the MP560 is an odie, but has worked great - until it needed the Ink Absorber replacing - or, washing and refitting - as the only site that actually had one wanted £25 for a new one!

I have copies of the official Canon Service Manual, and Spares catalog, but neither is any real help with the problem I've got - which is when refitting the absorber the main, middle section - which has 3 layers of the absorbing foam, simply does not make sense.

The piece, which the manual shows as fitting on the bottom, basically doesn't look as if it's been cut properly - I've tried to show this on the photos - just in case anyone else has come across this and sussed it out. I could be overthinking this, but the other 2 pieces which should fit on top of this one don't really seat properly at all - due to the bottom one "sticking up"
I know it must be cut correctly - as it has worked for over 65,000 prints - it's just giving me a headache! :he
- I don't want to ram it in, reassemble the whole machine, and then find out there's ink leaking or as Canon scare tactic - the ink leak damages the printer - to get you to take it to an authorised repair centre(and pay more than you did for the printer brand new!

Any helpful advice will be most gratefully received! :celebrateThanks in advance (and hope!)

Jon
Absorber cut not long enough.jpg
Ink absorber next to slot.jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Did you solve the problem and get the absorbers back in place? Else the assembly drawings in the parts catalog can be a great help. I have a parts catalog for the MP560. but the drawings are small and not in a high resolution. It seems the MP540 is mechanically similar or identical to the MP560 and the MP540 parts catalog has a much better drawing.

Here is a drawing showing the position of the absorbers, click to enlarge:
Absorbers MP540.jpg

I hope this helps in case you have not solved the problem already.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, Hanger18.

Your title says "Apologies - Misled by Canon, problem solved!"

How did you solve the problem?

Hanger18

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP560
Welcome to the forum, Hanger18.

Your title says "Apologies - Misled by Canon, problem solved!"

How did you solve the problem?
Hi - Yes, sorry, I put the absorber pad which the Canon manual seemed to indicate should be the 1st pad in the pile of 3, on the top of the other 2 - instead of the bottom. This meant that it all appeared to fit correctly!

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Thanks for the additional info. Good luck and happy printing. :thumbsup