Canon MP530 head problem or something else?

sipe

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello all.

I received MP530 for free and give it a try before throwing it out.

Printer was out of use for 2 years with old catridges in. I didn't touch anything just start it up, got error CHECK CARTRIDGE U052. Can not print or scan anything. Driver says error with printer.

Then I got in troubleshooting. 2 cartridges are fine, still got ink and printer report that they are okay (red glowing). Other three are empty, printer reporting black or fast red (total empty). Driver reports cartridges correctly (two with ink, three empty).

After that I tried to get in service mode to see details. And I couldn't get in anyhow. I always end up in Canon mode without Idle, and orange light flashing 5 times.

After removing cartridges and printhead I was able to get in service mode fully (Canon Idle). With removed printhead I get error U051.

My question is: is only printhead defective or is something more? I could not get to scanner (just won't scan). And what's about 5 orange flash when printhead is in? Service manual says
5 times ASF (cam)
sensor error
[5700] This error takes place when feeding paper from
the ASF after an error occurred in the ASF cam
sensor.
- Sheet feed unit

But on lcd it only says Canon. No error code.

I want to buy refubrished head and replacment new inks to give it a try, but first I want to counsel with your people thoughts. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think the error message " CHECK CARTRIDGE U052" actually should be check print head instead. See top of page 1-6 in the service manual and note that causes for this error message are print head over-temperature or faulty EEPROM.

This print head error might prevent you from entering service mode, as you can enter service mode with the print head removed. You now get the error message "CHECK CARTRIDGE U051" which should be check print head meaning that the print head is not installed or not installed properly, which it of course not is as you have just removed it. See bottom of page 1-5 in the service manual.

The service manual has a list of service call errors which lists 5 orange blinks as an ASF error. There are also operator call error codes with a different blinking pattern. in these codes 5 blinks often means defective print head. But the 5 blinks could also mean an ASF ( automatic sheet feeder) error, probably caused by some scrap of paper stuck inside the printer.

From a service manual for another printer the blinking pattern for the operator call alarms is only the orange led blinking a number of times, then pause and repeating the blinking.

The service call alarms are a number of orange blinks followed by a green blink, then pause and the cycle repeats. So can you describe the pattern of the alarm blinking?

If the printer part of the machine doesn't work, this also prevents fax and scanning from working.

So sadly my guess is that the print head is defective, but maybe others have a different opinion? Here is a link to the service manual to help in diagnosing the printer: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=56090#p56090

sipe

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Problem fixed.

Took a risk and ordered refrubrished head and new ink catridges.

Everything went perfect. Insert new head inside, error U052 disappeared, insert new colors and printer sets up fine.

Can you give me some checks up for printer that was offline for 2 years what to check before start using?

And can you give me maintenance advices? How to keep my printer in good shape.

Thanks.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
You can align the new print head. Also, do a nozzle check to verify proper printing. If you really want to do more, and you shouldn't need to if the printer is printing properly, is to check the purge system. See #3 of the following link: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=7867&p=1

Maintenance is print something that uses all the cartridges regularly. This can be a nozzle check and the frequency can be once every week. Is it possible to wait longer -- yes, but you increase risk of a clog.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Thank you for the feed-back.

As mentioned by stratman the most important check is a nozzle check from the maintenance tab. As your printer is an all-in-one, you should also verify that scanning and fax works.

A weekly nozzle check is a very good maintenance. If you detect something wrong, you can start to correct the error immediately. Continued printing with clogged nozzles could permanently damage the print head.

If you want to do further tests from service mode, like the service test print and the EEPROM info print, then be warned that the service manual has an error. A very important item 5 is missing from page 1-41.

The missing item should read:

5) After the function (menu) is selected, press the Power button. The LED lights in green, and the selected function is performed. (When the operation completes,
the printer returns to the menu selection mode automatically.)

See this post for more details: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=49752#p49752

Trigger 37

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Peterbj,....Wow,...you learn something everyday. I have just about every Service manual up through the MX870 and I've worked on just about all of them,...but since I've always known how to operate in Service Mode I really never read the manual that close. You are right about the MP530,..and I just checked a couple others and the MP500 is bad but the MP610 is OK. I don't have the time to check them all. I will make sure I update all of my Repair Manuals. thanks