Canon MG2525 inks

Philip Gwyn

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP LaserJet 4050tn
I have a general question about inks for Canon inkjet printers. I have an MG2525 which honestly was just barely worth the 35 CAD I paid. I use it to print out paper craft projects and the occasional photograph. The MG2525 is adequate though the small print area is annoying. But I'm emptying my cartridge at a surprising rate - photos and paper crafts are near full coverage, not the 5% that Canon uses when they claim "300 pages" for the CL-246XL cart. I kept a log and the printer claims I'm half full after 32 pages.

So the main question : does ink manufacturer matter ? Am I going to see a difference between when printing with ink from Canon or some eBay ink or 123ink.ca or refillink.ca ? I know I need a dye-based ink that will handle the heat-based inkjet nozzle that Canon uses.

Second question : do I need to reset the carts for an MG2525 ? My understanding is that I'll just have to press and hold "Stop" when the printer complains, and won't have a ink level indicator. I can live with this.

Thank you.