Canon MG2333 Blurry Cyan printing, others are OK.

Roveer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Looking to buy
I've got a Canon Pixma MG2333. It uses 240 black 241 color cartridges.

I cleaned this printer (disassembled and fully cleaned) and was getting bad results from old cartridges. I was able to get it to print great black but the cyan was very blurry. Tried aligning the heads and it never got any better. Alignment pages were missing some areas of cyan and full page cyan prints had a vertical (not horizontal) line where it would get lighter on the edges to very light. So I got a pair of re-manufactured cartridges and I'm still getting the blurry printing only on cyan.

I really don't want to bin this printer, but if I can't resolve the cyan issue, it's done. Any ideas on what I can do to get this resolved?

SCAN0003_zpsq8p5w8ky.jpg

SCAN0002_zpszh4uujk1.jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I guess the printer is Canon MG3222? It is a two cartridge printer that uses the black cartridges PG-240/PG-240XL/PG-240XXL and the colour cartridges CL-241/CL-241XL.

Remanufactured cartridges might be OK but might also be defective. By installing a new OEM colour cartridge you also install a new colour print head, so I think a new colour cartridge will correct the error. But I admit the replacement OEM cartridges are expensive, see this.

Roveer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Looking to buy
@Roveer, I suggest cleaning the timing strip and see where that takes you...

That's the round wheel on the left side? I'll give it a go. I'll also see if there is a strip that follows the print head path. I usually don't touch those strips. I cleaned one once on an HP printer and it basically destroyed the printer (printhead kept slamming from side to side after cleaning), but I'll see if I can give it a very light cleaning.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
You need not fear that wiping the timing strip with a soft tissue paper moistened with a window cleaner with ammonia will damage the timing strip. See this thread for more info. If the cleaning works it is less expensive than a new cartridge.

Roveer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Looking to buy
Well...

The timing strip was pretty darn dirty. I carefully cleaned it with paper towel and water. Seems to have done the job. Thanks so much for the replies which helped me get this printer working again. Off to college it goes!

SCAN0004_zpswbsvuolx.jpg