Canon MG 6220 problems

easytimes

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hey all, it's been a while since I last posted, and this isn't about refill, since it's about a printer that I stopped refilling, but let me shorten this and get on with it.

It's the aforementioned Canon MG6220, which has become my main disk printer, and I used it quite often. It seems to be cheaper for that purpose than using my newer printers with the 250-251 inks as opposed to the 225-226 inks in the MG6220 printer. Anyway, my printer has just announce to me that I have been using the wrong print head for the last longest... even the one replacement print head I bought a while back. Something tells me this is a conspiracy, so I'm hear to ask for any help that may be available. The error is U052, and Epson seems to have an app to fix some of their printers with this problem... hope that Canon may have a similar but somewhat obscure and illicit ap.

Looks like printing disks will require I make a rubber stamp for each disk and not have so many tech problems.

Any help will be very much appreciated... and if anyone has discovered a solution for my PIXMA IP4920 absorber tray red screen... I'm open to that one, too. That one would put me back into refilling again, if I can get it fixed. I'm sure Canon would hate that, as well.
Thanks if help exists...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The error message for the MG6220 means that the print head is defective. A defective print head can damage a the printer's logic board and a damaged logic board can damage a new print head. So replacing a Canon print head is a gamble and I cannot tell the odds for success. If a replacement print head doesn't help, I think the printer is a total loss.

Instead I think the iP4920 could be revived. The red error screen saying the ink absorber is full means that the printer has been locked to avoid an ink spill. The printer can be unlocked from service mode using a service tool. A Canon service tool can be downloaded from this post. As the service tool is packed in a .rar archive it must be unpacked before use.

The service tool only works with Windows, XP or newer. Even if the printer might have wireless capabilities, the service tool needs a USB connection to function.

Here is the procedure from a service manual for a printer similar to yours for entering service mode. It is slightly edited to make it more clear:
i. With the printer power turned off, while pressing the Resume/Cancel button, press and hold the Power button. (DO NOT release the buttons).
ii. When the Power LED lights in green, while holding the Power button, release the Resume/Cancel button. (DO NOT release the Power button.)
iii. While holding the Power button, press and release the Resume/Cancel button 5 times, and then release the Power button. (Each time the Resume/Cancel button is pressed, the Alarm and Power LEDs light alternately, Alarm in orange and Power in green,
starting with Alarm LED.)
iv. When the Power LED lights in green, the printer is ready for the service mode operation.

A service manual might also be helpful. I didn't find the service manual for the iP4920, but the iP4800 series printers are very similar, so the manual can also be used for your printer. The link for download is here. Neither AVG Internet security nor Malwarebytes Antimalware found any threats in the download. The service manual also has some disassembly instructions.

More instructions for disassembly and changing the absorbers and resetting the printer is found in this druckerchannel.de article. The iP4600/iP4700 is also very similar to your printer. I think the only differences is the procedure to enter service mode and the used ink cartridges. Here is a translation to English.

You probably cannot obtain new ink absorbers but the old absorbers can be washed using lots of warm water and good rubber gloves. The washed absorbers can be reused after drying. Some say you can get away with resetting the absorber counter to unlock the printer just once without washing or replacing the absorbers, but do so at your own risk. You risk a very nasty ink spill if the absorbers overflow.

When the printer has been locked the only operation from service mode is resetting the absorber counter. After the absorber counter has been reset the printer is unlocked and you can make other service mode operations, for instance making test prints. See this post.

When you have finished service mode operations turn off the printer using the printer's On/Off button and close the service tool.

Last edited:

easytimes

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the information... I will save it and hold it in my ever growing "printer recovery" archive.

I was able to get the printer back, because this printer was used as a refill printer for a short time, but the yellow tank kept clogging, and continued the clogging very quickly after I replaced the print head. Luckily, I saved the last print head I wasn't using... don't know if it was the original or not. But anyway, after putting that print head in the machine and doing all the recommended actions, I am once again printing happily. It's connected by USB to my wife's Win10 computer. Which means, I have to keep her happy with printer/scanner capabilities.
Thanks for the answer...