Canon Maxify Question ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have a Maxify MB5155 sitting in a box and before I start it up and stick in the cartridges, I intend fitting a printer Potty to it and to remove the plastic plate that prevents easy access for changing the carts, I am in no hurry to unpack it.

But my question ? is it possible to enter Service Mode on this printer or has this model also been nobbled, most likely I am only dreaming it can, I already have all the inks for it and it's to replace my aging iP4500 when it pops off.

I intend getting refillable carts and a spare replacement print head for it too sometime next year, I also found out something nice about this model, it has a two-year guarantee on it, not that I will be availing of it, I never have done ever...

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't know what it is worth, but I found this YouTube video claiming to enter service mode on a Canon Maxify printer. The method is the traditional method with pressing the stop/resume button five times. The Google search page mentions the use of service tool v4720, but I found nothing about the service tool on YouTube(?)

Here is the text from the search:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4A1tmAmZ4ho
27. aug. 2015 - Uploaded by JINHO CHOI
This video is about The entering to the service mode. ... new re-setter Canon Service Tool V4720 G1000 ...

And here is the link to the search, I don't know if this will work?

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
is it possible to enter Service Mode on this printer
The video PeterBJ linked claims to enter Service Mode. Too bad there is no translation of the text in the video.

HOWEVER, someone asks if it is possible to reset the waste ink counter in the comments of the video and the original poster of the video says NO, you must send to Canon service center.

So much for the Printer Potty. :idunno

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Just before Dinner tonight, curiosity get the better of me and I pulled the side off the printer just to see if I could at least fit a Potty to the darn thing, well the answer was no, just not worth it.:barnie

This printer is a very strange one, it comes with the print head already installed and is bone dry to touch, it has no protective solution in it, and there is no purge unit where you’d expect it to be either.

In its place, it has a parking station with two very very small tubes coming out of it, that lead down the right side of the printer and up to what looks like a bellows of some sort that pulls a vacuum, I didn't take much notice of the workings.:he

Reeling from these two knock backs, I went in gun hoe and solved one problem however, I removed the piece of plastic that prevents the cartridges from been removed before their empty.

Now when one cart is declared empty, I can remove the others and top them all up again and only get one cleaning cycle, a small mercy to what I had intended originally.. :weee

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I’ll have to use up the OEM inks first, the carts in this printer are huge, nearly as big as the Pro 1 carts.
No mention of removing plastic.
That will take time to catch on...

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I don't have any experience with refilling these cartridges, but I like video #2 the most. The method resembles the Freedom refill method. The method in video #1 looks like a complicated version of the Freedom refill method to me, I remember having seen a similar method earlier, see this thread and this post. The method in video #3 is probably OK but the video is too much drawn out IMO, so I didn't have the patience to watch all of it.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks @PeterBJ, I have filled the smaller 1500 carts for my grandson and they are simple if you don’t make it to complicated, I just copied the way I filled the Pro 1 carts, it’s the same way as octopus.de.. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzgLoM90D8Y
This new printer won't be turned on until well into the new year...