Canon ip4850 jamming

ipfken

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I love my ip4850 but recently have experienced frequent paper jamming with photo paper. I normally use Costco Kirkland Signature glossy paper which I find great and very reasonably priced and always load by the rear tray (think I have lost the front tray). I have done roller cleaning but the situation hasn't improved. Any thoughts?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
1) Please provide more details on this "jamming" such as does the paper begin to feed or not, how much paper feeds, is the paper mangled and where, etc.

2) Is there an error message given by the printer?

3) What do you specifically mean by "roller cleaning"?

4) Does the printer work properly with the Kirkland paper sometimes but not every time?

5) Have you tried other papers and do they experience the same issue of jamming?

Googling on "Canon ip4850 jamming" brought up some interesting potential fixes such as

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f109/paper-jam-problem-canon-mx410-685785.html

and

http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/8200049900.html

ipfken

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
1) Please provide more details on this "jamming" such as does the paper begin to feed or not, how much paper feeds, is the paper mangled and where, etc.

2) Is there an error message given by the printer?

3) What do you specifically mean by "roller cleaning"?

4) Does the printer work properly with the Kirkland paper sometimes but not every time?

5) Have you tried other papers and do they experience the same issue of jamming?

Googling on "Canon ip4850 jamming" brought up some interesting potential fixes such as

http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f109/paper-jam-problem-canon-mx410-685785.html

and

http://support-sg.canon-asia.com/contents/SG/EN/8200049900.html
Hi and thanks for the reply.
Jamming isn't really an accurate description as what is happening is that one or as many as four or five pieces of paper together are simply running straight through the machine without printing and then the notification of jamming comes on. Sometimes a single paper is left halfway through which then releases and comes out when the reset button is pushed. Hit Print and sometimes it then works properly and sometimes just repeats the problem.
Roller cleaning as mentioned in Maintenance.
Standard printing paper works OK but I haven't used other photo paper recently.
My stock of Kirkland photo paper is a couple of years old but is kept out of direct sunlight and heat and damp.
I have seen the links you mentioned. The only thing I haven't tried is the Q tip as can't see how to get to rollers.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The iP4850 has got both a cassette and a rear paper tray. Photo paper is best fed from the rear tray, but I think you are using the rear tray already?

Could the photo paper be the problem with the sheets sticking together? Maybe using another brand of paper or feeding the sheets one at a time will work?

A service manual for your printer might be a help in disassembling the printer to get acces to parts that might need cleaning. You find a simplified service manual here.

The iP4850 and the iP4600/4700 models are mecanically very similar, so this druckerchannel.de instruction for disassembling is also useful for your printer. And here it is in English.

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The more specific and detailed you are the better.

notification of jamming comes on
What, specifically, is the entire message? Does this error message occur in the other scenarios you mentioned? If so, which ones?

As @PeterBJ mentioned, the paper may be the cause, or at least part of the cause. Try other photo paper, preferably newly purchased photo paper of a different brand, such as Canon.

Sometimes a single paper is left halfway through which then releases and comes out when the reset button is pushed.
Is there ink on this paper or is it blank?