Canon IP4500 - paper jam message

rominho

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi There,

I've had a Pixma IP4500 for a number of years, it has always served me faithfully but today it started to give a paper jam error with no (apparent) paper jam, it says that the jam is at the paper "output slot" ... I have looked everywhere and could not see any paper jam. The feed button won;t work and the orange light by the switch button keeps flashing 3x.

Any help?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
What is the precise wording of the error message (including error #)?

rominho

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
"Paper is jammed at the paper output slot" (no error number)
the little window comes with the 2 drawings: "1. Remove the jammed paper" and "2. Press printer's RESUME button. Printing resumes from next paper"

(I press the resume button and nothing happens)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I've not had this error. While waiting for someone with a suggestion on solving your issue, try searching Google for an IP4500 Service Manual to possibly get a better idea of what to do.

Could it be the paper tray is not inserted correctly? Is there a bit of paper or dirt that obscures a sensor or is jamming something?

Looking at the Damn Printer website , 3 alternately flashing orange and green LED's could mean an error [6000]:

"There is a sensor on the front door, It is a spring loaded button, might not be springing out all the way."
Have you tried unplugging the printer power cord, waiting a minute or two, and then powering back on? Sounds silly but it's a longshot to flush the error out.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
rominho said:
the little window comes with the 2 drawings: "1. Remove the jammed paper" and "2. Press printer's RESUME button. Printing resumes from next paper"

First I would try and remove the bottom paper tray and put some paper into it and
reinsert it back into the printer that action may reset the micro switch and clear the error.

Inspect the rear dropdown flap for any small pieces of paper that might have lodged there and
slam the flap shut to reset, you could also leave the bottom paper tray out altogether if youre not using it.

Or try manually feeding through a sheet yourself from the back paper feed.
Just pass it over the clip and rotate the rollers with your fingers till it get to the inner smaller rollers and then turn on your printer.

The printer should eject the paper itself or you can press the resume button (flashing) that action might clear the error also.. :)

rominho

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
stratman said:
I've not had this error. While waiting for someone with a suggestion on solving your issue, try searching Google for an IP4500 Service Manual to possibly get a better idea of what to do.

Could it be the paper tray is not inserted correctly? Is there a bit of paper or dirt that obscures a sensor or is jamming something?

Looking at the Damn Printer website , 3 alternately flashing orange and green LED's could mean an error [6000]:

"There is a sensor on the front door, It is a spring loaded button, might not be springing out all the way."
Have you tried unplugging the printer power cord, waiting a minute or two, and then powering back on? Sounds silly but it's a longshot to flush the error out.
I've checked, orange light flashing 3x means paper jam, and the only instruction they give is "remove the jammed paper and press resume button".
I am pretty sure there's no jam at all ... What happened exactly is that my wife tried to print something, the paper went in a bit crooked, she pulled the paper out (without tearing) but now the error message won't go away.

Also tried the plug out/plug back in trick but it didn't help either.

rominho

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
The Hat said:
rominho said:

First I would try and remove the bottom paper tray and put some paper into it and
reinsert it back into the printer that action may reset the micro switch and clear the error.

Inspect the rear dropdown flap for any small pieces of paper that might have lodged there and
slam the flap shut to reset, you could also leave the bottom paper tray out altogether if youre not using it.

Or try manually feeding through a sheet yourself from the back paper feed.
Just pass it over the clip and rotate the rollers with your fingers till it get to the inner smaller rollers and then turn on your printer.

The printer should eject the paper itself or you can press the resume button (flashing) that action might clear the error also.. :)
Still no success, one thing I realised though is that when I switch the printer on, it goes trough the normal operation (you can hear the rollers working) and the orange light starts flashing right after the printer checks the small rollers on the front of the printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Thats a different story altogether, paper jams are not something you should take lightly,
you should have mentioned this paper jam a lot earlier on your post.

If a sheet gets jammed in your printer it is always better and much less harmful to push, pull
even be forceful with it and tear it out in pieces if necessary through the paper path
and never ever attempt to pull it backwards which usually results in the huge problem you now have.

There is a little sensor about 2 in from the left hand side and half way towards the little feed rollers that has been disturb,
twisted or bent backwards which will need to be put straight before you can correct the error message.

You could be lucky and only disturbed it from its position above the light sensor so try putting in a 1 piece of heavy card
in the paper path and jiggle it about a bit and see if you can move the paper arm sensor back into its position.

Failing that you will have to dissemble the printer casing to get at this little sensor and move, bent, Repair and replace it,
if none of these options work then the printer is only good for spare parts sorry.. :(