Canon iP4300 10x flashing green-orange, B200 error code

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 & Panny KX-MB271
This error that I never experienced or heard of before (until now). Out of no where when I was going to print this error showed.

The cyan cart was low at the time, I was going to print a single page, but this occurred.
I read a number of posts elsewhere and two much older here stating it's the;
1. printhead (including cleaning),
2. logic board,
3, replace both (which isn't going to happen),
3. power supply (including unplugging it for 10 min.),
4. all of the above.

Problem is, the carriage will not move, it's locked in the park position.

I have unplugged the PS, left it off for a few minutes, but no change. I tried to enter the service mode, but all I get is the 10x flashing green-orange.

The SM states to replace the printhead (what else is new), but not if I can't get the carriage to move. This is surely not easy to dissemble. :mad:

Last edited:

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Why would that error 'lock' the carriage??

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The defective print head and/or logic board prevents the power supply from starting. Without power the the print head isn't unlocked. See more about the print head/logic board/power supply interaction in this thread.

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I haven't opened it up yet, but can the carts & PH be removed without turning that wheel to unlock the park position and sliding the carriage out to the middle of the printer?
Also, does this scenario point to the logic board being the culprit as in 'it's toast'?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The upper left image on page 10 of the instruction suggests the carts and print head can be removed without unlocking and moving the print head carriage.

I think it is most likely a damaged print head that prevents the printer from starting. I think chances are good that the logic board is still OK and a new print head will revive the printer. But the print head QY6-0061 is not available as a new OEM spare part. Only "refurbished" print heads from the far East are available. These are often used print heads that have been cleaned to look like new and repackaged in new foil bags and cardboard boxes. Reports on the forum tell that these print heads are often defective out of the box. You might be lucky and get one that works though.

When a Canon print head fails there is a risk that it will damage the logic board, but this does not always happen. A damaged logic board might damage a new print head. So replacing a Canon print head is a gamble.

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pete,
You are preaching to the choir. I found some of that out over two years ago and discovered the rest two+ months ago with this iP4300. After two years of flawless prints got the dreaded 5 flashing orange error. I purchased two spare heads when I purchased the used 4300 thinking they were original Canon's since they were in (what looked to be) the original Canon box. :(
Then I discovered that Canon stopped making these 5+ years ago. My previous i560 printer got infected by a bad printhead, but I wanted to replace that anyway which I did.

One would think some type of 'protection' circuit could of been incorporated to protect the logic board. :idunno

Last edited:

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Anyway, based on this situation, the fact the unit is 'locked' for a possible bad printhead and I can't do a reset (remove power for 10 minutes) or enter the service mode, assuming after I remove the printhead, if the machine does power up normally and the carriage moves as it would with no printhead, can I assume (the 'a' word) that the logic board is good?
I hate to ask this, but if the above is hopefully true, can I put that head back and see the error returns (since this head was printing flawlessly)?

The situation was I had a cyan low ink warning the day before. I was about to print a single sheet of text and swap carts w/ a refilled one after the print job. I sent the job to the printer which may of been in a standby state since I didn't print anything that day. Then the error occurred. I can see other factors that could of triggered this 'protection' mode (if that is what is actually is).

Anyone want to take a shot at this?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Anyone want to take a shot at this?
OK I will then, it’s time to move on because your print head is dead, and it does not matter how many times you conduct the autopsy, the outcome will still the same, you’re going to need a new printer.. Sorry...:(

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I don't believe in giving up easily. It doesn't hurt to explore all possibilities, There is nothing to loose and everything to gain by at least the added experience. A few more hours makes a learning experience, which is worth it even if the problem isn't fixed. I'm not suggesting days, just a few hours.
Now, if there was other issues with the printer that weren't able to be addressed, that's another story.

With the printhead removed, I still get the error which seems to tell me it's at least the logic board which makes sense since trying a power reset, failed.
That brings the question, if it was the printhead, why doesn't that (what seems to be) more common error (5 flashing orange) cause the printer not respond like this when powered up??