Canon ip4200 or ip 5200?

Jetstream Rider

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Great forum, came across it while trying to fix my Canon i950, however it is time to get a new printer. Have been looking at the ip4200 and 5200 and was wondering what the difference is? As far as I can see, the 4200 is smaller, ever so slightly slower, uses less ink and costs less - so it wins hands down. What is the advantage to the 5200? I know the R version has wireless networking, but for me its not worth doubling the price as I have a home network anyway. Any thoughts? Could you recommend a better printer for general printing, the odd photo and fiarly light home use?

Thanks,
JR

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Right now the main difference between the ip4200 and ip5200 is printing speed==and the ip5200 has a printhead with almost double the number of nozzles. But few can tell the final product--the output apart.

With the ip5200 being quite a bit more expensive---print speed vs. money. Its your call there. For most general users it may well be the ip4200 hands down.

But this poster wishes to be on record---if you can find a non chipped ip4000 or even a ip5000--you are better off. My ip4000 digests dirt cheap third party prefilled cartridges very happily--and I now refill for even greater savings. A non-chipped Canon using BCI-3&6 cartridges is a refillers dream come true.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Osage's advice is perfect, and there still are a few 4000s and 5000s floating around. If you can find either one at a good price, grab it!!

On eBay there days, there printers are selling for more that their original release price. Use the yellow pages to call every dealer in town...it will be worth it just on cartridge savings alone!!

Jetstream Rider

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'll try, but a search has ended up in vain at the moment. I'd love to get my hands on an ip4000, but I think I'll be forced to get a chipped printer :( Its a real shame, as I like the quality of Canon's stuff, I hope they don't wreck any more otherwise good products by adding killer hard/software.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Jetstream Rider said:
I'll try, but a search has ended up in vain at the moment. I'd love to get my hands on an ip4000, but I think I'll be forced to get a chipped printer :( Its a real shame, as I like the quality of Canon's stuff, I hope they don't wreck any more otherwise good products by adding killer hard/software.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.
Aware that you went with an ix4000 so this may be moot but if you check ebay and look for the official refurbished Canon dealer on there you could find a good one.. Granted you'll be looking at paying for it..