Canon ip4000 printhead problemos

ip4000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
My ip4000 printhead is getting clogged too fast.

After a cleaning cycle the test print looks OK. Then I print a full page color print (pie chart & text). Then I print a test sheet. It looks real bad. 3ebk and magenta is like crap, other look ok.
The printhead seems to clog after one page.

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
What ink are you using? OEM, or 3rd party? if 3rd party, what brand?

zakezuke

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
ip4000 said:
My ip4000 printhead is getting clogged too fast.

After a cleaning cycle the test print looks OK. Then I print a full page color print (pie chart & text). Then I print a test sheet. It looks real bad. 3ebk and magenta is like crap, other look ok.
The printhead seems to clog after one page.
If you are still under warranty canon will send you a new head next day air. Some users had to e-mail them a copy of their nozzle check which is fair enough. When talking to them it seems to help if you tell them you tried the cartridge in question in another printer. It's good troubleshooting and might even skip the script they have to walk you through. I've been through the process before and it's rather painless even if worst case you have to mail them your nozzle checks. They ask for the old one back but pay for postage to do so. Fair enough.

If you're not under warranty this issue is covered in the faqs sort-of under Q: My printer isn't printing properly, what should I do?
http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316

The most interesting technique is the use of toilet paper 10 sheets folded over in a dish with ammonia based window cleaner such as windex. Basicly pushing the printhead onto the paper causes the solution to be forced into the chamber which you can see the ink comming out the top. The techique described calls for applying the printhead slowly, and quickly pulling it away from the paper. http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=63

Others reccomend a mix of window cleaner and alcohol, i'm currently experimenting with 50% 50% windex, alcohol, and a cap full of ammonia. I'll post my results if I have any.