Canon Ink Cartridge Expiration...?

fishy_design

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iPF6350
Recently, I found some stored away ink cartridges for my Canon iPF6350 printer I have at work. I was going to put them with the other, newer ones I had, but after looking at the packages I noticed an 'install before (date)' label.

I did a bit of digging on other threads here on printerknowledge, as well as whatever Google came up with, but I'd just like to get confirmation/additional thoughts on ink expiration. I'm fairly new and inexperienced when it comes to printers, so whatever knowledge you gurus can bestow upon me would be greatly appreciated.

From what I've found, ink cartridges, if properly stored, will last about 2 years. The main issues with using cartridges after this point is they have risk of clumping (drying out?) and cause the printer to clog, color fading, and something about microbial growths?

The packages I have are labelled to be installed before, June 2013, various dates between Feb 2014 and September 2014, and one labelled July 2015. All of these are, from what the labels are telling me, expired, but I'm wondering if it's at all possible for me to still use them. I have 12 of these cartridges, and I hate thinking that they've gone to waste, totally unused.

Is it possible I can still use them? Or possibly do something so they can be usable again? These are all completely new cartridges. They're all sealed in plastic packaging with small silica gel packets. As far as I know (I've been working here for 10 months), they've all been sitting in a box, undisturbed in my office. The room is air conditioned, but it is turned off when the room is not in use. However, the temperature doesn't change dramatically, I'm from Hawaii, so it rarely gets hot and never cold.

Much thanks to anyone who can help me out!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
These unopened cartridges are perfectly fine to use, the expiry dates don’t mean anything when the carts are still sealed, there’s no point in wasting good ink..