Canon i9950 sold, want to purchase Epson 1400 LFP printer

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
After 2 years of more than excellent service I sold my Canon i9950 printer (EU-version of the i9900, but with CD/DVD-printing capability). I have decided to have it replaced with an Epson 1400 machine and to install a CISS-system using pigment ink, which should be capable to handle it.

Some questions: I have heard that I need the original cartridges to prime/initialize the system prior of being capable to install the CISS system, but I am not sure about this. Is it possible to install a CISS system without having to insert the original Epson cartridges supplied in the package ? This would be nice, so I can sell these cartridges to someone who want to stick with the original inks.

Some suggestions which type of CISS-system is the best ? I am quite happy with my latest Inkrepublic's Pro 3800 I-Refill system on my Epson Pro 3800 LFP printer and it performs very well indeed, much better than my previous system. So I tend to get one from Inkrepublic.com.

Any suggestions concerning a reliable CISS and a good performing pigment ink (fade resistant, waterproof, good gloss differential and miminal bronzing and maximum gamut performance) ?

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Pharmacist

the 1400 will have to see the OEM carts at some time in its life. Call this Baptism. If you can borrow someone's OEM carts for the first insertion, it will work. After that you are free to go for whatever. In Europe the same carts that can be used on the 1400 are used on the Artisan AIO which is a different model across the pond.

The inkset for 3800 will do nicely on the 1400 but you must always use a proper profile . Properly profiled with good paper, softproofing is one of the best I have seen with Staples Supreme Satin. It is recommended that when softproofing that you look away for a second when doing the comparison so that you eyes can adjust. On this paper, that is not required. Other high quality papers will yield similar results. Thus far with this print engine I do not get the purple sky effect. Actually I think that effect depends on the color engine inside the printer and its tendencies. I have yet to test this though.

As far as a CISS is concerned, the spirit of using the 1400 is to turn the tables on pigment printing and getting high performance out of an inexpensive printer ( well relatively inexpensive depending on where you get it.) That same spirit can be adopted in using the drop tube system or siphon system similar to the ones MIS Associates supplies. I will be offering a kit that will provide all the elbows, tubes, bushings etc to do so and using standard ink bottles. This allows users of existing refillable cartridges to convert to a CISS for around $12-$15. the benefit of using these simple systems is that they are not affected by temperature fluctuations, barometric pressure and they allow mixing of the inks to ensure consistent colors. Finally, any sedimentation never clogs the intake port or tubes and maintenance of the tanks is a snap situation of just either replacing the bottles or rinsing them. The same cannot be said of fixed tank systems. Sometimes simpler is better. In this case it is. I understand Websnail has been running one of these systems for a number of years. And yes, refillers are typically adventurous types who like to DIY.

The SP1400 all the way down to the Artisan 50, as well as all the older Claria based printers( R260, R380,R265, R280, RX580,RX595,RX680) possess the same color engine and uses the identical profiles throughout. These machines are great for "hacking" and modding to unleash the potential within them. As mentioned in another post, the Artisan AIOs uses a newer and superior color engine. The profiles are not interchangeable.

For those users, who don't have the inclination to learn color management, I was able to custom tint a pigment inkset that uses the standard color driver that will print very close to profiled output. Otherwise color management is required.

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5173

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Is it possible to detach the chips from the original cartridges, put them into the printer to initialize the internal circuit and remove them from the system and have it replaced with the CISS ? This way I can put the chips back onto the cartridges and sell them.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I imagine it certainly is possible as long as they do not read empty.
However, do note that the chips on these newer bodies have two contacts that connect to a liquid sensor that is internal to the cartridge. Furthermore, these newer bodies cleverly folded to resist opening.

All in all, I think you will likely need to baptize the printer with a set of genuine OEMS, new or used.

Also if you are purchasing a new printer, then perhaps you might want to consider keeping this OEM set around until the warranty has expired. If for any reason you need to return the printer, you should return it with the OEM cartridges inside. If you need to purchase a set to return the printer, you will be hurting.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Mikling,

never thought this way. I will keep the cartridges in a sealed box after priming the printer and initializing the internal circuit.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
This is Epson's strategye to prevent exactly the action you were thinking of. That is, acquiring the printer and reselling the cartridges which would bring the costs down dramatically.

OTOH sometimes the refurbished models get out and don't need baptism. Most times they do as the techs reset and update the firmware. If you are purchasing it from a store with a demo that is working, maybe they will drop the cartridges from the demo to initialize and your reason to do so, is to make sure the printer is working before taking it home.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
mikling said:
I will be offering a kit that will provide all the elbows, tubes, bushings etc to do so and using standard ink bottles. This allows users of existing refillable cartridges to convert to a CISS for around $12-$15. the benefit of using these simple systems is that they are not affected by temperature fluctuations, barometric pressure and they allow mixing of the inks to ensure consistent colors.
You do realise that you are a genius don't you... Brilliant, out of the box thinking.. :)

Finally, any sedimentation never clogs the intake port or tubes and maintenance of the tanks is a snap situation of just either replacing the bottles or rinsing them. The same cannot be said of fixed tank systems. Sometimes simpler is better. In this case it is. I understand Websnail has been running one of these systems for a number of years. And yes, refillers are typically adventurous types who like to DIY.
Yeah... I'm pretty sure you too realised that the whole reason the balanced pressure systems got so popular was simply the one size fits all, coupled with:
- low cost of dyebase ink
- dyebase working in place of pigment inks
... equals a CIS that doesn't need to worry about pigment ink clogs caused by sediment build-up in bottom feed reservoirs.

What I don't get is why none of us didn't catch on to this sooner?!!
*smacks self on head*

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
There is a fine line between stupidity and genius, sometimes I don't know what side of that line I am on!
The other side of the line always looks better.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Another question: is there an affordable or free RIP software available for this printer capable to drive 6 channels independently ? Since the printer can produce 1.5 pl small droplets it should be possible to omit the LM and the LC inks and have it replaced with Matte Black and Light Black (grey) inks and using a RIP software could drive the LM and LC channels to use MB and LB inks to produce neutral B/W prints. The idea of of this originated from the latest Canon MP980 printer which has 6 channels including a grey channel and MB (PGI-520, which is actually text black). Both the R1800 and R1900 do not have the LC and LM channels and both printers produce 1.5 pl droplets as well.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Since the 1400 is considered an entry level dye printer, it would be difficult to justify such an undertaking as RIPS are not really used by people who buy these printers. I know of none but it might exist.