Canon G5050 printer - 7,700 pages per ink set - OH REALLY???

Roberto Smith

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon
Hi all,

So I bought Canon's G5050 printer on the grounds that although the printer itself is a bit pricey it has very cheap running costs. The fact that Canon claim you can get up to 7,700 colour pages from each ink set was what sold it to me.

So far I have printed out MAYBE 200 pages altogether. Some just black text and about 30-40 which involve a lot of colour (fliers for my business, some artwork etc).

Currently I am about 1/3 the way through the Cyan and about 1/5 through the Yellow and Magenta. At this rate I might get 500 pages before I need a Cyan refill, and at that point will probably also be about halfway the Yellow and Magenta.

So my question is: what do Canon (or anyone) define as a "colour page"? I'm guessing they don't actually mean a full colour page but rather a mostly black ink page with *some* colour on it? Does anyone know if there is a definition or an *understanding* of what Canon mean when they say 7,700 colour pages? At the rate the ink is going down in mine it'll be more like 500 pages before refills are needed!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Look up the spec's - there is a very small asterisk (*) at the page yield number at the key spec's, and some explanation at the very end of the long page

www.canon.co.uk/printers/pixma-g5050/specifications/

You could easily argue that such test won't match reality

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
Number of pages per cartridge/refill, as given by the manufacturer, is total rubbish. Don’t pay any attention to it. Be guided only by your personal experience. After a few refills you’ll have a pretty good idea of the real figures.

That’s like the text printed on ice-cream packs. When it says ‘ten portions’, with a bit of luck you’ll get four half-decent individual portions, Of course, if you’re contented with a spoonful of ice-cream it would give you 40 portions.