Canon G4200 waste ink / service tool help!

nanobooboo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon g4200
Hi,

I have a printer showing the error code for waste ink. I put the unit in service mode and downloaded the service tool V5105 from Octoinkjet that others on this forum have said worked. But the customer is using a Mac desktop and it wouldn't run it.

I contacted Octoink's support desk but he said he couldn't help with the Mac, and referred me back here. I do have a Windows laptop and wonder if I download the V5105 onto it, and then plug into the printer, if it would work. I don't want to make a brick out of it...none of the service tools "officially" listed this printer as of last week.

THANKS!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
you may try the WICreset utility, it is listing the G4000 series printers as available for a waste ink reset - against a charge. You can test the utility for free if it connects to your printer.

nanobooboo

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
canon g4200
So ISF, that's what I tried but the Mac wouldn't let it run. What do you think about loading it onto the Windows laptop and then plugging it into the printer?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Yes, give it a try on your Windows laptop computer

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
@nanobooboo I think you are confusing two different programs. Octoinkjet UK sells keys for the WIC and iWIC reset tools. Download and getting some info for some printer models is free, but to do a reset you need to buy a key. Notice that the iWIC tool is for use with Mac computers. The WIC and iWic programs are not written by Epson or Canon but by a third party programmer. I have not seen V5105 or other Canon service tools on the Octoinkjet UK website.

Service tool V5105 is a Canon service tool, written by or for Canon. It is offered by 2manuals.com at $30. Here is an Ebay offer @ $6.50 of the V5103 that also is claimed to be compatible with the G models of Canon printers.

I don't know if model 4200 is considered a series 4000 model by the program?, Download and testing if your model is compatible with the program is free. I downloaded, installed and opened the WIC reset program from Octoinkjet UK, see this, click to enlarge:

WIC 2.jpg

As the Canon service tools only work with Windows
, you cannot use MacOS or Linux, I suggest to try the iWIC reset tool. Download is free, so you could check if it also covers your printer like the Windows version of the program. Maybe the owner of Octoinkjet UK @websnail has any comments?

This thread might also be worth checking out.

Last edited: