Canon G2100 doesn’t print in color – ERROR 5200

Paloma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L220
My Canon G2100 doesn’t print in color. The “Cleaning” and “Deep Cleaning” didn’t solve the problem.

And I was not able to do the “System Cleaning” because Error 5200 showed up.

This error has been showing up lately. I don’t know if it is related to the lack of color printing, probably it is. I turn off and on the printer, and then I can print. But I was not able to do “System cleaning” even when I turn off and on.

Also, I know that “System cleaning” consumes a lot of ink, and I am not sure if it is really necessary to solve the problem.

Then, searching some info on Youtube about Error 5200, a couple of videos recommended “resetting” the printer. I followed the instructions and the printer did something, but didn’t print a paper at the end with the page count=0. So I don’t know if the reset was completed.

What should I do?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Are you out of ink? Have you tried a new cartridge or 4?

Paloma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L220
Are you out of ink? Have you tried a new cartridge or 4?

Thank you for the reply.

There is ink. This printer has tanks which I can refill.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
If the ink is low in the tank, but not completely empty, then add ink till above the "single dot".

1637297272050.png

Read more at https://support.usa.canon.com/library/ij/ErrorCode/G2000 series/EN/ERR/5200.html

Error 5200 concerns ink levels. As I recall with Canon tank printers, you have to manually set the printer's ink level monitoring to "full" after refilling. There is no automatic sensor for sensing "full". If this sensor was not set properly then the printer continues to count down to zero ink and then stops even thought there is more ink in the tank. This should be described in your manual.

https://support.usa.canon.com/library/ij/Manual/All/G2000 series/EN/BG/bg-ink1000.html

The following maneuver seems to have worked for some. Maybe this is what you did but cannot tell because your description was too vague.

https://translate.google.com/?sl=au...-errore-5200-5b00-y-1700-en.html&op=translate

(Original link: https://system9sac.blogspot.com/2019/10/solucion-errore-5200-5b00-y-1700-en.html)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
There seems to be no service manuals available online for the G2100 printer, but a service manual for an older two cartridge printer MP280/MP495 shows that the error 5200 means printhead overheating. This error code seems to have this meaning in all available Canon service manuals. The suggestion is to first change the offending cartridge (print head) and second the logic board.

Here is a clip from the service manual:

MP280-5200.jpg

So it looks like you will need a new colour printhead. I don't know the cost and availability of a new print head, so maybe it is time for a new printer?

Last edited:

Paloma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L220
If the ink is low in the tank, but not completely empty, then add ink till above the "single dot".

View attachment 13224

Read more at https://support.usa.canon.com/library/ij/ErrorCode/G2000 series/EN/ERR/5200.html

Error 5200 concerns ink levels. As I recall with Canon tank printers, you have to manually set the printer's ink level monitoring to "full" after refilling. There is no automatic sensor for sensing "full". If this sensor was not set properly then the printer continues to count down to zero ink and then stops even thought there is more ink in the tank. This should be described in your manual.

https://support.usa.canon.com/library/ij/Manual/All/G2000 series/EN/BG/bg-ink1000.html

The following maneuver seems to have worked for some. Maybe this is what you did but cannot tell because your description was too vague.

https://translate.google.com/?sl=auto&tl=en&text=https://system9sac.blogspot.com/2019/10/solucion-errore-5200-5b00-y-1700-en.html&op=translate

(Original link: https://system9sac.blogspot.com/2019/10/solucion-errore-5200-5b00-y-1700-en.html)
Thank you for the information.

The color tanks are half-filled, I don't think I need to add more ink for the moment.

So, this "system cleaning" apparently consumes A LOT of ink. Should I do it if the “Cleaning” and “Deep Cleaning” didn’t solve the problem?

Paloma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L220
There seems to be no service manuals available online for the G2100 printer, but a service manual for an older two cartridge printer MP280/MP495 shows that the error 5200 means printhead overheating. This error code seems to have this meaning in all available Canon service manuals. The suggestion is to first change the offending cartridge (print head) and second the logic board.

Here is a clip from the service manual:

View attachment 13228

So it looks like you will need a new colour printhead. I don't know the cost and availability of a new print head, so maybe it is time for a new printer?
Thank you. But how can the printhead be overheated if I rarely print in color? In principle, I suspect the problem is due precisely to lack of use of color inks. Am I wrong in thinking this way?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
"system cleaning" apparently consumes A LOT of ink. Should I do it if the “Cleaning” and “Deep Cleaning” didn’t solve the problem?
I do not know. It may be the solution. If you do then fill the tanks to full to have plenty of ink. I read it consumes ~1 inch of ink in the tank. If ink runs out then the print head may suffer permanently burned out nozzles.

Some things I might check out...

Look for air in the lines going from the tank to the print head. Maybe a system cleaning will flush the lines and re-establish ink flow. At this point what do you have to lose? There are multiple YouTube videos discussing how to manually re-charge the lines and print heads with ink such as

Look at as many videos needed to understand the process. I did not see one in English.

Take out the print head and examine for pooled or even wet ink in carriage and on the print head.. Dab a paper towel to the nozzle side to see if ink transfers onto the paper towel.

Print a nozzle check. If completely blank then report that. If any ink is printed then scan, crop and post.

Print nothing other than nozzle checks until this is resolved.

Make sure everything is seated correctly and there are no obstructions in the lines.

Any other issues prior to the 5200 error? Be specific.

Paloma

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L220
I do not know. It may be the solution. If you do then fill the tanks to full to have plenty of ink. I read it consumes ~1 inch of ink in the tank. If ink runs out then the print head may suffer permanently burned out nozzles.

Some things I might check out...

Look for air in the lines going from the tank to the print head. Maybe a system cleaning will flush the lines and re-establish ink flow. At this point what do you have to lose? There are multiple YouTube videos discussing how to manually re-charge the lines and print heads with ink such as

Look at as many videos needed to understand the process. I did not see one in English.

Take out the print head and examine for pooled or even wet ink in carriage and on the print head.. Dab a paper towel to the nozzle side to see if ink transfers onto the paper towel.

Print a nozzle check. If completely blank then report that. If any ink is printed then scan, crop and post.

Print nothing other than nozzle checks until this is resolved.

Make sure everything is seated correctly and there are no obstructions in the lines.

Any other issues prior to the 5200 error? Be specific.
The color lines have basically air, and not ink, specially at the end... (tomorrow I can post photos)

So, you can suck the ink with syringes to fill the lines. And this procedure will have the same result as a "system cleaning", but without wasting ink. Right?

And by the way, when you do the system cleaning, where does the ink go?

If possible, as my tanks are half-filled and I don't print too much in color, I won't buy color ink for the moment.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The color lines have basically air, and not ink
I think you have diagnosed your problem. Now you need to prime the lines and print heads with ink. :clap

Pictures would be appreciated.

Whether suck (pull) or push, whatever the videos demonstrate is the way to do it with a syringe. Does this simulate a system cleaning without purging all the ink? My guess is yes.

Purged ink from any type of cleaning goes to waste ink pads inside the printer. The printer keeps track of all the sprays of ink. This counter is used to guess the filling up of the waste ink pads. When the counter reaches some designated amount then you will get a message that the waste ink pads are full, stops any further printing, and the printer needs servicing. There is a way for you to do the "servicing" yourself. Let the forum know when that day arrives and we can help you.