1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Picture Of The Week (POW) Information and Submissions
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Official PK Poll: Is there any future in refilling?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. PK Featured Thread: Epson Stylus Pro9600 Printing on Polycotton
    CLICK HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Canon CLI 271 resetter issue

Discussion in 'Canon InkJet Printers' started by fdm2000, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Mar 27, 2018
    fdm2000

fdm2000 Getting Fingers Dirty

Shortly after buying my Canon MG6821 printer I research online for a resetter - at that time (June 2107) limited products were available. I found one on eBay sold be a CHinese seller named zhiyan2. The carts that came with the printer lasted for several months and the Canon OEM replacements are now just beginning to run out. For the first time I refilled the magenta and the cyan yesterday that registered the red empty notification. The cyan refill went without incident but the magenta cartridge began leaking at the exit port and would not hold ink - unsure why this occurred?

Next I tried using the CLI270/271 resetter and according to the instructions when the cartridge is properly seated in the resetter an orange light is supposed to appear. If a red light appears the cartridge has not been reset. I tried it several times to be sure it was properly seated and aligned with the contact pins in the resetter but no orange light appears.

Wondering if I have a defective resetter or if Canon has somehow reengineered its newer CLI 270/271 to prevent resetting?

Anyone out there have similar experience or remedial suggestion>

TX Frank

2. Jul 29, 2018
    RWL

RWL Getting Fingers Dirty

I just reset some refilled cartridges for the first time today and the provided instructions for the resetter didn't entirely match its behavior. Nevertheless, on mine when a cartridge has been reset the light turns red continuously for a few seconds. The three cartridges I reset worked.

The Hat likes this.
  3. Jul 29, 2018
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP4300 + Epson scanner
    Two things can cause a Canon cartridge to leak. One is the fill hole in the ink reservoir is not sealed 100% airtight after a refill or purging of the cartridge. The other thing is overfilling.

I don't know the mentioned resetters so I cannot answer the questions about resetter behaviour. Please links to the resetters @fdm2000 and @RWL . Others might know the resetters.

4. Jul 29, 2018
    mikling

mikling Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

There are sometimes bad welds along the top edge of the cartridge around the reservoir. It is rare on OEMS but it happens, on the aftermarket types, the incidence is higher.

PeterBJ likes this.
  5. Jul 29, 2018
    PeterBJ

PeterBJ Printer VIP Platinum Printer Member

Printer Model:
    Canon iP4300 + Epson scanner
    But wouldn't a such bad weld on an OEM cartridge have caused leaking as soon as the cartridge was installed?

6. Jul 30, 2018
    fdm2000

7. Jul 30, 2018
    fdm2000

Thanks for the input RWL - wondering if your resetter was for the CLI270/271 cartridges? If so could you possibly provide from where you obtained it.

TX Frank

The Hat likes this.
  8. Jul 30, 2018
    mikling

mikling Printer Master Platinum Printer Member

Yes, and some OEMs, again very rare do leak. However these weak welds typically will show up if one flushes too vigorously. Don't disccount the wall between the sponge and reservoir. That spot is hardly seen and cannot really be inspected because from the outside only the external weld perimeter can be examined. Those are tricky to find

The Hat likes this.
  9. Jul 31, 2018
    The Hat

The Hat Printer VIP Moderator

Printer Model:
    Canon were, BUT 3D is better..
    I have examined the internal parts of these newer opaque OEM cartridges with their paper chips and came to much the same conclusion, they are only designed to withstand one fill of ink and are very shabbily made at that...

It’s just another trick in the Canon arsenal to prevent us from refilling their cartridges, but the Chinese compatible cartridges are made far stronger but can’t consistently deliver ink to the print head without constant scrutineering.

Roll the dice... :eek:

10. Jul 31, 2018
    fdm2000

There is some confusion regarding the term OEM (at least in my mind). When discussing Canon cartridges one often encounters forum members referring to cartridges manufactured and sold by the Canon company while others use the term to refer to products that are manufactured by other unrelated companies that sell Canon compatible cartridges. Would someone please enlighten me. Even the definitions on Google are confusing.