Canon ARC cartridges questions

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Purchased Canon CLI271&PGI270 refillable ARC cartridges for my MG6821 printer. I have a few questions for those that have experience using them:

When is the most optimum time to install them - at the first empty warning or at the red X on my MG6821 model.

Should they be filled before the installed OEM cartridges show empty? If so is there a time factor that should not be exceeded if refilled in advance? Would it advisable to place a tape seal over the cartridge vents if filled prior to needing them to be installed?

Can any ink formulated for the Canon CLI 271 and PGI 270 cartridges from reputable suppliers be used?

Thanks for any input or suggestions,

Frank

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
As far as I know your type of printer does not manage cartridge changes (as for example the Maxify does).
There is no communication between the ink level kept in the installed cartridges and the new ones.

It is advised to switch all cartridges together to the ones with ARC chips (for reasons I don't know, but maybe the printer sees a conflict between the type of chips). You loose some ink at this moment, but nothing prevents you to place an ARC on an OEM cartridge ;).
You can fill the new cartridges in advance if you place clips on the ink outlets so they don't dry out.

An autoreset chip counts down when ink is used and only resets when it is replaced after being empty (red X).
In your type of printer the empty condition is based not only on this count down but also on the remaining ink level the printer can see in the cartridge. I have no idea how far this is also valid for ARC's.
As long as the ink counter in the chip is at 0 before the real ink level you have no problem, remove the cart, top up and reinsert.

Any good ink can be used, but avoid mixing different brands of 3th party inks.

fdm2000

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Many thanks for the response and input Print Addict. Do I understand correctly that the replacement of an OEM Canon cartridge with the ARC cartridge need not wait for the red X but can be done an any time - for example at the yellow warning or before! One the other hand one must wait for the red X when replacing an ARC cartridge in order for it to reset?
BTW I noticed that filling the PGI 270 ARC cartridge using pigment ink took considerably longer to move from the reservoir tank to saturate the foam than the color inks - does that seem normal because of the ink thickness?
Frank

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
I have no experience with the particular cartridge, but as far as I know autoreset chips sold nowadays only reset after been "empty" (there have been chips who resetted every time time printer was powered on).

The pigment cartridge contains more ink, could explain why it takes more time.

BTW it seems there is a chip resetter for PGI 270
https://www.amazon.com/product-revi...fferlistingpage_text?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1

Refilling OEM carts and reset the chips always has been the preferred method.
The behaviour is as close as possible to original cartridges.
ARC's is the only possibility when there is no resetter.
Strange enough a lot of people are attracted to the ARC solution.

Latest posts