Can I fill the oem cartridges with Precision inks?

GreenGuy33

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
I love Jose Rodriguez's video's, but I am not sure I understand when he talks about refilling cartridges for the first time.
After my original cartridges run low, can I just fill those with Precision inks? Along with resetting the chips, etc...
Or do I need to buy 8 new empty ink cartridges and fill those with Precision inks? Do I need to throw away the original cartridges after they run low?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
do I need to buy 8 new empty ink cartridges and fill those with Precision inks? Do I need to throw away the original cartridges after they run low?
To clarify, when they each come to show the low ink warning, you simply reset the chip and then refill, there is no need to purge or throw away theses cartridges, but there is one exception, the yellow cartridge !

It is recommended not to refill the yellow but to use the cartridge supplied with your newly purchased inks, doing so will insure you have a flawless transition over to the new inks, this procedure is specific to PrecisionColor inks only.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I guess this is about refilling the CLI-42 cartridges for the Pro 100? The OEM CLI-42 Y cartridge should not be refilled, but save the chip, as it is to be attached to the replacement yellow cartridge.

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
I guess I did not understand this. I switched all my OEM chips over to the empty cartridges supplied by Precision colors. If I could have used my OEM carts why did the empty carts come with the kit? I am confused because the directions said to remove the chips and transfer them to the empty cartridges.

Is there something I should do with my OEM carts now that they have no chips? Should I flush them and save them for future use? What exactly is on the chips that come with the empty cartridges from Precision Inks?

In fact why do those cartridges even come with chips - assuming they are not functional chips? If anyone can fill in the gaps for me I'd appreciate it.

I did read all the directions several times and watched the videos so I am not sure why I'm confused but I am.

Thanks.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
For the Canon Pro 100 Precision Colors offer both refill kits including ink, a resetter and one replacement cartridge for yellow, and aftermarket refillable cartridges.

With the exception of the CLI-42 Y cartridge the OEM cartridges are excellent for refilling. Remnants of CLI-42 Y OEM ink can react with refill ink or even plain water used in flushing the cartridge and form a gel that clogs and ruins the print head. That is the reason it is recommended not to refill the CLI-42 Y OEM cartridge.

The reason for offering the refillable cartridges is that "virgin empty" OEM CLI-42 are difficult to find for those who want to have a spare set of refilled cartridges ready.

Last edited:

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
Thanks. I guess i did not read all of the information on their website clearly enough. So now I have my original OEM cartridges which still have a little ink in the tanks and the fiber pads still plenty saturated - but with no chips because the chips are now on the aftermarket cartridges. Can anyone suggest to me what they would do at this point. Move the chips back to my OEM cartridges from the aftermarket cartridges - except for the yellow? Or leave all as is and save the OEM cartridges for possible use in the future? Will the OEM cartridges last indefinitely provided they have the orange storage clips on them? Thanks for any help.

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
One other question - the chips on the aftermarket refillable cartridges I purchased were not good chips right? I mean the directions specifically said to remove the chips from the empty cartridges and replace them with the chips from the OEM cartridges. What exactly are the chips that are on the empty cartridges from Precision Colors?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Take a look at this. Precision Colors sell two kinds of cartridges for the Pro-100.

One kind is used but refurbished Canon OEM CLI-8 cartridges. Apart from the chip (and ink) they are identical to the OEM CLI-42 cartridges. The Canon CLI-8 cartridges are equipped with CLi-8 chips that will not work with the CLI-42 resetter nor work in the Pro-100 printer. That's why you have to replace the chips.

The other kind is non-OEM refillable cartridges with ARC chips. The cartridges need not have the chips replaced before use and a resetter is not needed for these cartridges.

My guess is that you bought the refurbished OEM CLI-8 cartridges and not the aftermarket refillable cartridges, as the instructions said to change the chips.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Take a look at this. Precision Colors sell two kinds of cartridges for the Pro-100.

One kind is used but refurbished Canon OEM CLI-8 cartridges. Apart from the chip (and ink) they are identical to the OEM CLI-42 cartridges. The Canon CLI-8 cartridges are equipped with CLi-8 chips that will not work with the CLI-42 resetter nor work in the Pro-100 printer. That's why you have to replace the chips.

The other kind is non-OEM refillable cartridges with ARC chips. The cartridges need not have the chips replaced before use and a resetter is not needed for these cartridges.

My guess is that you bought the refurbished OEM CLI-8 cartridges and not the aftermarket refillable cartridges, as the instructions said to change the chips.

In my kits, I only offer the REAL Canon bodies not aftermarkets.
I offer aftermarkets separately for a couple reasons. 1. There are some folks who really want a second set and don't want to pay for the real Canon bodies.
2. When used commercially their shortcomings are not a huge factor.

Some want convenience...even with no chip switching.

BUT..........the aftermarket as I clearly note in my description are NOT the same quality as the real Canon.

Ink Flow is not as consistent, they work but you need to keep an eye on cartridge condition carefully. Not really for the novice but they are generally sold to those who are novices....a dichotomy in the market.

More importantly, if they are used in a printer that is not used frequently they can cause a mjor problem. If the ink level is low or close to it, their sponges dry out quiickly. This causes the ink to dry out and the result is that ink is pulled away from the nozzles by the sponge. This if the printer is unused can cause a REAL clog. Why, because the ink in the nozzle is no longer kept hydrated by the ink in the cart because the column has pulled away back towards the cartridge. There is now an air break between the nozzle and ink column. I have tested this phenomenon with my own Pro-100 and this required a full two days of soaking to clear. To explain this on a page is impossible as most would not understand. But the clear and best thing is to try and always used the OEM cart in a domestic situation especially when the printer gets light use. In commercial settings, this drying out is not a problem.

On the aftermarket carts the air serpentince is completely missing because to create such a thing is a lot more work and the air feed to the cart is about 1/8" away from the atmosphere and is not buffered at all. Canon's air serpentince is superior and more expensive to make even in a throwaway cartridge they choose to do it for a reason. Please understand that.

Then there is the ink bridge, the slots in the air feeded, the dual layer sponge for consistent air feed, the variable density sponge around the ink outlet area and consistent quality. Don't get fooled, these are all more expensive to make and some features patented.

Again that is the reason why my Pro-100 kits only feature the real good Canon stuff. Not the aftermarket.......but if you really want the aftermarket then you can use them but proceed with eyes open.

Last edited: