Can Anyone Suggest A Canon Wireless Printer Using Cli-8 Cartridges?

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
I have been refilling my ip4200 Canon printers for years with few problems (German method). My wife has suddenly decided that she needs a wireless printer. What used Canon wireless should I look for (that uses CLI8 & PGI5) so I can use my current resetter and empty cartridges?

Thanks!
Fred

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
My suggestion is to look for a Pixma iP5200R. This is the network version of the iP5200, which is similar to the iP4200, but is much faster due to a larger number of nozzles in the print head. In my opinion the iP5200 is one of the best intermediate level printers Canon ever made.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
If I were you I’d stick with your iP4200 and forget about Wi Fi all together
and don’t be tempted by the BIG Wi-Fi carrot.:hide

Because if you go for one of these new Wi-Fi printers then the BIG stick is sure to follow.

There are no printers anymore (Available) that use Wi-Fi and CLI-8 or PG-5 cartridges;
you might have better luck with an Epson,
the newer Canon printers are all designed to be a refiller’s nightmare..:barnie

I’d recommend you get one of the new Pro 100 (Going very cheap) and the good wife
will be over the moon when she gets the BIG pictures… :old :thumbsup

Last edited:

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Last edited:

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
You could get a wireless print server and make any printer wireless. If the idea is to print remotely from her computer but you don't need to put the printer on top of the refrigerator or inside the dog cage, then get a wired print server. I hate wireless printers, and while they usually work these days, I still run into people with problems like "I need to print my tax documents at 9PM on April 15 and my printer just disappeared."

You could just share the printer already installed on your system but then the computer it's plugged into would have to be on.

lowell374

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
CanonPro-100, E2000p, LexMark
Help us understand your wireless capabilities.
Do you now have a wireless network or just a computer with wireless capability? Do you have a wired/wireless router?
I personally like my PRO-100 (CLI-8 carts), wirelessly connected via a client-bridge router to another router (distance extension), and then wired eithernet to the c-bridge.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
The Silex and Pricom brands were pretty good for providing Canon compatible Wireless print server capabilities. I've still got one knocking around in my attic.. Beyond that you could look for wireless USB hubs with OS compatiblity for your system. Beware of some that don't for newer OS's though as some creative marketing has been used to sell items that simply don't work with Windows 7 or up.

From memory and a quick look about the C-6700WG is the print server but I would probably advise you look more at the USB network servers instead of just print servers as that's the direction Silex have taken with further development of their units and they're more likely to be supported with newer OS's as per this one:
http://www.silexeurope.com/en/home/products/usb-device-servers/sx-ds-3000wan.html
(which is also Windows 8 compatible).

Last edited:

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I’d recommend you get one of the new Pro 100 (Going very cheap) and the good wife
will be over the moon when she gets the BIG pictures… :old :thumbsup
Sounds good to me. That printer has wireless and ethernet connections, so you're in luck. And if you have a good router with a good signal, wireless should work splendidly.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
There are several ways of achieving the OP's goal. If the Canon 4200 is still working in good shape then less reason to replace it. What matters is whether OP can find a wireless print server that serves his needs. this can be a stand alone unit like Fenrir and websnail discuss. Or it could be a wireless router as lowell discussed. You could also make your desktop wireless by itself or wired into your WiFi router and use the networked desktop to push printing to the attached printer. Another option would be to use a Powerline product which uses electrical outlets as part of a "wired" network. You can either hard wire your wife into the network or use another router in bridge mode or a dedicated bridge to connect wirelessly to your networked printer (printer plugged into your desktop and the desktop wired into the WIFi router and everybody on the same network.). You could also use two wireless routers set up in repeater mode to your networked printer.

Canon printer using CLI-8 cartridges - those with the suffix "R" will be wireless capable:

Canon Pixma iP3300 iP3500 iP4200 IP4300 iP4500 iP5100 iP5200 iP5200R iP5300 ix4000 ix5000 MP500 MP510 MP520 MP530 MP600 MP600R MP610 MP800 MP800R MP810 MP830 MP950 MP960 MP970 MX700 MX850

The Pro-100 can use the CLI-8 cartridges but you will need to swap chips AND purchase the CLI-42 inkset OR do a printer profile with your CLI-8 inkset (plus the additional colors needed for the Pro-100). In other words, you should get the CLI-42 inkset in addition to whatever you purchase for your 4200.

If your 4200 is still working fine then consider either a WiFi print server or get a new WiFi router that has a USB port that acts as a print server. Unless you are completely satisfied with your current WiFi set up, I would suggest a new router that will not only give you print server capability but also improved range and throughput such as the ASUS RT-N66U for an N900 class router. If you want to more expensive AC routers then either the ASUS RT-AC66U (AC1750 class)or the NETGEAR R7000 Nighthawk (AC1900 class). Which one would suit you best depends on variables such as clients used on the network and how much money you want to spent. The AC class routers are the big push nowadays, but the N900 ASUS is a stellar performer and a good value.

You can read more about these routers at http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/rankers/router/ranking/N900?rank=6. Change the Class from N900 to AC1750 or AC1900 to read of the other wireless routers. SmallNetBuilders is a superb sight for information and may be a better place to ask you question.

The most direct route if keeping your 4200 printer is to either get a dedicated print server or upgrade your WiFi router to one that has print serving and, hopefully as added bonus, better range and throughput. I would choose the latter unless I already had excellent WiFi. I do have a Netgear WNDR4500 which is an N900 class WiFi router that also has print server capability. I've not used it. At the time, the WNDR4500 was the best in it's class but was soon bested by the arrival of the ASUS RT-N66U. The next choice would be a wireless dedicated print server if keeping the 4200 printer followed by finding an old used printer on eBay or Craigslist that is wireless and uses the CLI-8 cartridges. Next would be buying a new Pro-100 that does accept the CLI-8 cartridge while you can get them for $100 after rebate, but then you would need two different inksets unless you profile the printer/paper/ink and you would need to swap chips regardless of the ink used.

Networking questions can be read about at SmallNetBuilder.com in both articles, reviews, and, most importantly for you, in the forums where you can ask your questions and get answers from networking experts.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
After reading all of the replies, it sounds like a dedicated printer server is what I need. I have an ip4200, plus a new ip4200 stashed away, and an MP530. So all use the same resetter, cartridges, and ink. I'm fairly up to date on refilling and going to different cartridges/resetter would be easy enough...but what I already have is pretty good.

So, off to look at servers!

Thanks!

Fred