Buying advice Canon G series vs. Epson Ecotank 2650

ChengXirie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6350
Buying Advice Canon G1500, G2500,G3500 vs. Epson Ecotank ET 2650

Hello Printers,

I need your advices. I'm planning to buy a new printer and to replace my old Canon MG6350 and IP7250. So I can't decide between the Canon G series and Epson Ecotanks. I normally use to print B/W texts and of course printing pictures ( how much difference is these colors, some said Canon hasn't many color depth, but it is faster than a Ecotank but not fast than a Inkjet printer)
There are some arguements for Canon and Epson.

Canon:

- You can only buy in Canon store, expensive than Epson
- Prints are slower than normal inkjet printers ( 1 min to print 10x15 ?)
- Only buttons, no display
+It looks compact, the placement ( BK on the left, Colors on the right) looks good.

On the other Hand Epson
- looks bulky but all four inks are on one side
- available on other stores
+Display

Is there anything you suggest, write your comments below.
Any feedback would be great.

Greetings

Alex

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
all these printers -- whether they run with cartridges or are of the Ecotank type - are inkjet printers, and the speed relates to the number of nozzles and driver internals. How relevant is the picture printing speed to you - does it matter if it is 60 or 50 or 70 secondes ? You probably may use another driver/quality setting at the end anyway. These printer models are technically more at the lower end, budget type level in terms of options and speed , but again - how much are you printing and how much is that relevant to you , and the same applies to the location of the tanks. the overall outer dimensions could be important to you if you have limited space for one of these units.
The picture quality is good with both units, I did some testing and printing on both a G1400 and some Ecotank models, you don't judge the color depth just by some prints but do specific measurements for the gamut. The overall look does not just depend on the printer but very much on the paper you are using, Canon or Epson or other. Some buy the photo paper by the price and not by the overall quality of the coating.
So yes, both models offer you a high level of convenience with the ink tanks - no cartridge or refill handling with those, the inks are at an affordable pricing level.
You may have a look to the newer Epson models like the ET-2700 with a pigment black ink giving you a better look of the print on copy paper, and pigment inks are more resistant against yellow markers if that's relevant. And you may compare other features of these models - which connectivity they offer like WLAN - Wifi direct connect etc. And the ink reservoirs are now placed to the front of the unit.

Last edited:

ChengXirie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6350
Hello printer master,

thank you for your advices.

70 seconds or longer are fine for me, I mean better or compareable with my old MG6350 or IP7250. I rather use the best quality only.
I print and my master print about hundreds of text pages week, some days I print 30 or more photos in A4 or 10x15. So I am average printer.
I have enough space on my desk. Wifi or Wifi direct is not important for me as my master connects it via USB.
Have you tried printing on Photo carton ( these are the cheap ones)?
What kind of glossy paper could you recommend me?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
There is one detail hidden in the specs - the ET-2650 does not print borderless but the ET-2700 does, so if you plan to print your photos borderless you rather should consider the ET-2700 or the G-series Canon printers - they do borderless as well.
Beyond that I wouldn't have a clear preference between either one of those, the decision criteria
can be the (un)availability of other options like connectivity, a card slot etc.

It is difficult to recommend a particular paper, there are always plenty offers on the market including Amazon or Ebay whereever your home country is. You are on the safe side with the genuine Canon or Epson papers giving you very good print results since the drivers are adjusted to these papers. If you choose other budget papers you should look for papers which have a plasticy back side, and are not paper/carton like, but that's something you only could test, only very few suppliers tell you whether they ship the budget cc (cast coated) paper or a PE filmed RC paper which gives better colors.

ChengXirie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6350
I plan to print borderless if possible. Of course with borders where I can put the pieces together like a poster where it doesn't have a3 available.
Do you use only genuine Ink or are Refill ink fine for you? I am aware of that Refill ink and genuine has different colors depending on paper, color management and driver settings.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Inks - that's a pretty complex subject, the bottled genuine inks already have a pretty good price so if you are not for specific properties other inks could do better I would recommend to stick with the genuine inks first. There is one detail with the inks as well hidden to you, the inks for the G- series printers or the lower end Ecotank printers do not perform as well in regards to light fastness as the regular inks in cartridges - Chromalife for Canon or Claria for Epson. That's not an issue for lots of people but for some who keep their prints exposed to light for a longer period. There would be refill alternatives for Epson but not for Canon at this time to my knowledge.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Epson is running another series of ink tank printer models - the L-series - ITS - integrated tank system - like the L382 - L386 - L486 and more. The availability os those depends on your country of residence - Epson regionalizing their business around the world and not giving potential customers the complete choice of their product lines.

ChengXirie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6350
Epson is running another series of ink tank printer models - the L-series - ITS - integrated tank system - like the L382 - L386 - L486 and more. The availability os those depends on your country of residence - Epson regionalizing their business around the world and not giving potential customers the complete choice of their product lines.

So this is what is available in Germany. I'll check that out.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20171126-150530.png
    Screenshot_20171126-150530.png
    256.3 KB · Views: 893

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
you may also check distributors like alza.de . The problem is with the EU as a Common Market that Epson does not believe in it and draws EU internal market borders for different product lines

Last edited:

ChengXirie

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6350
Inks - that's a pretty complex subject, the bottled genuine inks already have a pretty good price so if you are not for specific properties other inks could do better I would recommend to stick with the genuine inks first. There is one detail with the inks as well hidden to you, the inks for the G- series printers or the lower end Ecotank printers do not perform as well in regards to light fastness as the regular inks in cartridges - Chromalife for Canon or Claria for Epson. That's not an issue for lots of people but for some who keep their prints exposed to light for a longer period. There would be refill alternatives for Epson but not for Canon at this time to my knowledge.
Where I checked that for Canon G series theres Octopus Office refill ink available, half price but as you said light fadeness not so stable but I always laminate photos should be not a real deal here, right?

- I was thinking about to buying Agfa photo paper or Avery Zweckform as Alternative to Original Canon/ Epson. What kind of coating do you most value?
Did you mean a lighter Paperweight is better than heavier?

- How important is Picoliter for you in the photography ( 1,2 and 3 Picoliters)?

- Did you bought your printer on alza? Are they new? They look kinda cheap, I don't believe it... strange they don't leave hint about the status. Are they any changes for example the Canon G1400's and G1500's despite that is A Eastern European model, are they taxes already included? That would be bad if
Epson L486 ( 2015 model, as you mentioned external tank on the right side?) costs in Store for 180,90 Eur. ?
I haven't decided yet. Tomorrow I gonna check.

Last edited: