Bulkinkjetcarts.com substituting bci-3e carts for bci-6 carts

jayjay22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi, I ordered 20 cartridges from bulkinkjetcarts.com for my new pixma ip4000. Have not yet recieved them, but while looking at the confirmation email they sent it appeared that they sent the wrong cartridges. They sent 4 each BCI-3EBK, BCI-6BK, BCI-3EC, BCI-3EM, BCI-3EY. The printer is supposed to take the BCI-6 series carts for the Yellow, Magenta and Cyan.
When I called saying that I think they shipped the wrong item, the woman assured me that the BCI-3E cartridges were completely compatible with this printer and there was no difference between the BCI-3E and BCI-6 line of cartridges. She said the ink is the same dye based in the color cartridges. I remember reading on this or another forum (cannot find it again) that the BCI-3E type cartridges contained inferior ink compared to the BCI-6 cartridges. Anyone know if this is correct, or if the fact that they substituted the BCI-3E carts for BCI-6 carts is ok. Thanks for any help.

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
It depends on the vendor. I am using BCI-3 cartridges in my iP4000 without a problem with ink flow and color shift.

I have read the ink shade from some vendors are off, giving you a color shift from magenta to blue. You will just have to try the inks and see if they are up to par.

jayjay22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Tyamada, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I will just have to see how they work. Hopefully they are ok, because $1.39 per cartridge is incredibly cheap. At that price, I may not need to refill, may just be cheaper to buy through them full cartridge sets. Thanks again for replying.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The main difference between the BCI-3 colour inks and the BCI-6 colour inks is that the 3s are pigmented while the 6s are dye-based.

You might call them back and ask them about this.

JV

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
jayjay22,

You could talk to Scott at BulkInkJetCart, Tel. 1-888-259-3827. When I had a problem, Scott called me and was very cooperative.

JV

jayjay22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies guys. Manuchau, I thought that one was pigmented and one was dye based, but the lady I spoke with assured me that while they used to use pigmented, they are all dye based now. Don't know if that statement is accurate or not. JV, I will call scott tomorrow and try to speak with him about it. I really don't care either way, as long as they really will work for my printer and there are no major differences in the ink. Thanks for the answers guys :) I really like this forum.

tyamada

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Manuchau:

The BCI-3 color cartridges are not pigmented the only pigment ink cartridge in the BCI-3 line is the BK cartridge. As the BCI-3BK cartridge is larger than the other BCI-3 cartridges you can not use it in place of the BCI-6BK cartridge.

Check this link out within this forum for further discussion on BCI-3/6 cartridges: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=141#p141

jayjay22

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Cool, just recieved my compatible cartridges from bulkinkjetcarts.com! They came very professionally packaged and they look like a real cartridge, in fact you really cannot tell that the cartridges are not real canon cartridges. Except for the fact that they do not say canon on them. Also, the tanks are completely full, just as the ones that came with the printer. I had read on this forum that some compatibles come with the tank only about 3/4 full (something to do with the absorbency of the sponge used in them, apparently they still contain the same amount of ml of ink). Anyway, so far everything looks great, 20 ink tanks for $34.00, 4 entire sets of cartridges. I have not yet tried them in my printer yet, since I still have a small amount of ink left in the orininal tanks. The real test will come when I put the compatibles into the printer and purge the printheads to get the old ink out of them and get the new ink flowing. I will report back what results I get. So far, I am very happy :D

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I had exactly the same experience with that same vendor. The order gal was very upfront with me before I ordered that there was no difference between their BCI-3 and 6 in terms of ink. You can order a BCI-6 cartridge that is labeled BCI-6 for a mere thirty cents more. The only change is in the label. ---$1.39 vs $1.69. But I happened to ask the order gal that relevant question about the price difference. So cheer up, by default you saved 12 times thirty cents on the total order even if you suffered some confusion and ruffled feathers. Certainly better than selling you the exactly equivalent products for $3.60 more. But I agree with you, it creates needless confusion. But shows vendor consumer honesty for those who forget to ask. But also read the posts on canon Oem diffeneces between BCI 3 and six and still confused on diff.

I have had an excellent experience with this outfit. Have to rate their communication and service as excellent. In terms of their ink, I am not as fussy as others on color balance, have not used their cartridges long enough to comment on reliability except to say so far so good, and that JV has done extensive tests on these cartridges. My readings of these tests is that these cartridges are very close to Canon OEM on color balance and that JV worked very hard on these tests. Thank you JV for that contribution to the collective knowlege base. I for one owe you.

Another factor that tipped my decision towards that outfit is their toll free telephone number. Have not needed to talk to their Scott, I found their order Gal very upfront and knowlegable about their products, and I report that experience. If you want genuine Canon get genuine Canon at nine times the price. If you want to avoid the mess of refilling, want economy and very close to OEM color balance, then this is an outfit to strongly consider. Just remember its $6.00 shipping for one or more cartridges. The economy is in a bulk order to reduce per unit shipping costs. Advertised shelf life two years. Can't say from personal experience but I think this is also an outfit that will stand behind its products.