Bulk ink for these printers in NZ?

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
Hi all. It's time I started getting to grips with filling my own ink cartridges.

My printers: Canon MG7760, Canon MX726.

My question: Is there anyone here who can tell me where to buy bulk ink for these printers in New Zealand?

If it makes a difference to the ink type I require, I doubt I'll do the reservoir thing. Like with carts connected by tubes, etc. I don't do that much color printing.

So I'll just do it by the conventional method. Whatever that is :) Via hypodermic, is it?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
The Hat, thanks for your comment. There are a couple of reasons I asked here instead of Google. First is that I wasn't sure if the MX726 and the MG7760 used the same inks or if I'd need to find sources for two different types of ink. Second, I don't think a lot of self-filling goes on in NZ. Before I retired from IT work I had around 300 regular customers, and only a very few knew anything about the compatible cartridges I used, let alone self-refills.

So I'd expect this 'cross-sectional' situation to be common across the board of printer owners in NZ. I might be wrong, but that'd be my guess. Additionally, if the self-fill industry actually is more established than I think, I wouldn't be surprised if there are problems with users being given the wrong inks for their printers, thus causing disproportionate problems and costs. It's usually only after new systems like this become better established in our tiny country (pop.5M) that all the bugs get ironed out.

Totally different scene in the US and UK, of course, where the industry is well established.

So I thought that, by posting here, my query might catch the eye of a NZ member (if such a person exists) who'd had experience in self fills for these printers.

However, I'll check out your links, thanks. I'm already using compatibles - have been for 8-9 years. Carts for the 726 are around $NZ10 (about 33% of genuine Canon) but the 7760 carts are $NZ15. I think Computer Food (supplier) is creaming it with these, but they're way cheaper than genuine.

The Aussie Rihac link might be fruitful - if they'll sell to NZ.

Anyway, I'll make some inquiries and come back later.

Cheers :) (and well done, Ireland)

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@canon-do, After 18 years, it was only a fluke... :oops:

Most of the refilled cartridges come from Asia and only get rebranded when a company sells them in their country..

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
LOL. Actually it was 108 years. But your guys played well and ours didn't. Deserved win.

Asian inks, yeah, I'm beginning to see Korea mentioned. Not North Korea, I hope. The refills might be radio-active :)

Anyway, I made contact with Rihac Australia, and they seem to be willing to ship to NZ (2000 miles). But those guys seem to be creaming it as well. $AU130 for 6 x 100 bottles plus a set of special carts with modified chipsets. Are these carts necessary? Like, I've replaced all the carts in both machines with compatibles, so there are none of the original carts in use. I kept them though, in case they're useful.

What do you think?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I mentioned earlier in post#2 that you might be better off using compatible prefilled cartridges because you don’t print that often.

Refilling is only cheaper if you print daily but if you decide to go that route then you must only refill OEM cartridges where ever possible, because they are far better than any refilled aftermarket compatible can ever be.

If you feel that Rihac are gilding the lily, then try shopping with Alibaba, they might be a better way to go...
P.S. Here in this country (pop.5M) too...

canon-do

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Brother DCP-L3551CDW
The Hat, ta for that info. Just had another email from Rihac about price. A link shows '$14' for ink but it's not clear exactly what that's for. Like, size\quantity. I'm guessing it might be for a 100mll bottle. Is that what you guys pay?

So you reckon I should only refill the original carts? I can do that for the MG7760, but not for the MX726 as the originals are long gone.

Rihac's rationale is that their new cart's logic chip 'resets itself' after each filling, whereas the original carts eventually cause the main printer circuit board to pull the plug after being refilled. Sounds odd, I thought.

Re Alibaba, I'll check it out. Can you tell me exactly what ink I'm looking for, please? Is it the same for ink for both 726 and 7760? Thanks, The Hat.

Shucks, I didn't know Ireland's population was much like NZ. Sorry, I'm turrible ignorant :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
LOL. Actually it was 108 years. But your guys played well and ours didn't. Deserved win.
Are you talking about the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series a couple weeks ago since 1908? (108 years between wins) My guys, the Cleveland Indians, lost three in a row to lose the World Series! :(

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Are you talking about the Chicago Cubs winning the World Series a couple weeks ago since 1908? (108 years between wins) My guys, the Cleveland Indians, lost three in a row to lose the World Series! :(
Rugby is New Zealand..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5T53EF4wtQo

@canon-do, this is what we pay on average Au$ for 125 ml.
http://www.octoink.co.uk/categories/*-Canon-Printer-Products/MX-Series/Pixma-MX725/

The MX726 OEM carts are so easily filled are without any exceptions are the best, but the refilling of aftermarket carts can only end one way.

To refill any cart, you need to be very precise and deviating from known working practices has the same effect as trying to refill aftermarket carts, its easily to learn the right way to refill a cart, but some try to outsmart the correct procedure for their own way and end up with ink going everywhere but the right place.

Rihac sells cheap crap inks, but also sells good inks (More expensive), so choose wisely, and both of your printers take different coloured inks, but you can use the same inks in both machines if you wish, I use the same ink in several model printers.

The 751 carts however are the exception, they will have to be compatible refills because the original OEM carts are so troublesome they are not worth the effort to refill correctly..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Congratulations on Ireland's long waited win. :clap 111 Years according to the talking head in the video. You are the Chicago Cubs of the EU.

Question: Why does the opposing team still knock into the player after he scores? In American football, that would be a penalty since the play is over.