Brother MFC-5895CW can I use epson ink ?

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Hello, I got a nice deal on all in one, Brother MFC-5895CW but it really impressed me!

The resolution is better than my old Pixma 6700D and better then Canon Pro 9000 Mark II !
This no dedicated replacement as it does not have dedicated black ink cart for photos. I would like to ask has anyone attempted to refill Brother printer with Epson Dye ink?

I can get OCP, InkTec inks, also found nice site www.octopus-office.de

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I wonder, I got email message about reply to this thread by forum memeber "lin" but I come here and there is no reply.

I can't seem to understand do I need dye or pigmented black ink
for my printer.
So what do I need? Is the original ink dyes or pigment?

Inktec lists the ink as DYE

LC1100BK/ Black Dye B1100-01LB

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...tmoQWK&sig=AHIEtbQ4lTp-NKQyRmPpExGMjwiTDHnKBA

OCP lists the ink as Pigmented

IJ BKP 45 Schwarz Pigment
http://www.ocp.de/content.php?1=1&1...desktop.php&rubrik=d&hersteller=6&modell=3034

I tested the original brother ink and I can confirm that black ink does not run under tap water, but the supposedly dye ink was also very stable.
I have only seem similar results from Ricoh Gelsprinter GX7000

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well I placed an order at octopus-office.de today, i have chosen to get OCP inks because I'm not happy with InkTec dye black for my Canon printers because it has dark-brown-red cast when diluted or washed under tap water. So the last thing I wanted any more of this cast.

Other InkTec inks are fine no, but I decided to test OCP inks. I will post back as I get them and make comparison profiles comparing Brother OEM ink and this OCP ink.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Smile said:
I'm not happy with InkTec dye black for my Canon printers because it has dark-brown-red cast when diluted or washed under tap water.
Don't dilute it. As far as I know, they all have similar characteristics, and for a gray color the printer has to supplement the black ink with some color to correct the color cast. Some may work better than others for you, though. To really test any of them, you need to print a density wedge ranging from white to black.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I received the Octopus-office shipment today.
I ordered 2-sets of 4 carts for my printer, they were out of stock.

And Octopus-office sent me 4 cartridges that are like the image on their site, and another 4 that are "cheap imitation" - no float mechanism to indicate low ink for the printer ink monitor.
As this Brother printer MFC-5895CW can sense ink by using optical sensor the float mechanism allows it to know if ink i running low. The nice thing is that since the cartridges are large you can still use the ink monitoring with all ink the cartridge no need to reset anything.

Well that is true except 4 cartridges does not have this mechanism. I have sent Octopus-office with photo explaining that I expect the cartridges to be identical like shown on their website and to properly sense the ink low condition.

The cartridges were packed in a paper box, the ink plugs are not installed and you guess how strange that is because dust and other pollutants can get into the cartridge.
I had to wash the with distilled water, I have placed cartridges to dry, and will test the ink tomorrow.

All other items seem to be OK :) the shipping packaging is also OK they added allot of paper into the box so the bottles would not move while shipping :)

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I would like to note that this brother printer work fine. I used brother and now epson inks. To print on glossy paper I use black ink that is also dye.

Furthermore the printer uses black in in printing photos (in photo mode), unlike canon. So I get rich deep blacks. Printer is very Linear with a ICC profile. BW Photos look neutral.

Printer is without chips, just fill ink and use. I bought XL carts that does not need to be removed from printer to be refilled.

Regullar maintenance included cleaning parking station and another ink pad at left side of the printer. I do cleaning every 500 A6 photos.

Printer has auto maintenance cleaning cycles that ensure it's ready for use when you need it. Unlike EPSON or canon printers of this size. Has LAN, Wi-Fi built in.