Brother MFC-3240C color cartridge issue

icehaid

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello:

I have the above-reference machine, which is decent enough, but the 3 color ink cartdidges (in a 4 cartridge CMYK configuration) run out very quickly. This is especially troubling since I don't use the color at all, and don't use the black that often either. Plus, once one of the color cartridges is out, the machine will not print, even in black, until it has been replaced.

2 questions:

1. Is the color ink simply evaporating with non-use; and

2. Is there any way to print on this machine with only black ink?

Any assistance/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

tissouth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
You don t print in color and you dont print in black. I guess you just don t print, and you ran out of color ink, I would check the bottom of your printer for a leak, and just get new cartridges. I f problem still happens, I would contact brother, you Ink prorts may be putting too much pressure on the cartridges, especiall the color you ran out of.
You may need to replace the printer.

icehaid

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
tissouth said:
You don t print in color and you dont print in black. I guess you just don t print, and you ran out of color ink, I would check the bottom of your printer for a leak, and just get new cartridges. I f problem still happens, I would contact brother, you Ink prorts may be putting too much pressure on the cartridges, especiall the color you ran out of.
You may need to replace the printer.
Well, I *do* print black, just not that often. And there are no leaks. That was the first thing I checked. Ink is not even pooling in the bottom of the cartridge chambers. That's why I figure the stuff is evaporating.

And I just may be replacing the printer soon, if this keeps up. :) Do you have any opinion on my question #2? Thanks!

NoWaste

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Icehaid,

If I am not wrong, the Brother MFC-3240C is one of those printers that has a suction function that withdraw ink from your cartridge even though the printer is not printing. You may noticed that with the power switch on but printer still off, this printing sometime becomes "alive" and starts to function by itself.

Many people purchase printers without knowing its design. As a result, like for this printer, your cartridges run out of ink very quicky. I guess that this printer also has a stand alone print head, which may fail any time (about a year or two) and a replacement can be very expensive.

One way to overcome the "no" ink problem is to refill the colour cartridge with clean water. This will allows the printer to continue operating in black ink, but in this way you cannot print colour.

icehaid

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
NoWaste said:
Hi Icehaid,

If I am not wrong, the Brother MFC-3240C is one of those printers that has a suction function that withdraw ink from your cartridge even though the printer is not printing. You may noticed that with the power switch on but printer still off, this printing sometime becomes "alive" and starts to function by itself.

Yep. That's it.

Many people purchase printers without knowing its design. As a result, like for this printer, your cartridges run out of ink very quicky. I guess that this printer also has a stand alone print head, which may fail any time (about a year or two) and a replacement can be very expensive.

Again, the thing's not bad, but since it was ridiculously inexpensive, I'm prepared to dump it when it fails.

One way to overcome the "no" ink problem is to refill the colour cartridge with clean water. This will allows the printer to continue operating in black ink, but in this way you cannot print colour.

There are actually 3 color cartridges (C,M, & Y). How should I refiil them? Will a syringe type thing work? Also, won't the water cause damage to the print head, or will it not be an issue since I won't ever be instructing the printer to print color?

Thanks much!

NoWaste

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi Icehaid,

Yes, the MFC-3240C has a black and 3 individual cartridges. The cartridges consist of a sponge inside and a liquid "tank". It is important to ensure that the cartridge maintains it negative pressure otherwise it will leak.

The type of water used is important as some tap water in some country may have other inpurities and chemicals that may affect the print head in the future, though you may not see the damage immediately. I am talking about maintaining the print head for many years of usage. I normally use boiled water at room temperature and keep it covered when not in use. This allows me to keep using my printer for the last 4 years without changing a cartridge.

A syringe type refill method may work but it depends on how it is done. There is no different to the printer as to the colour of the ink but ensure that the cartridge is correctly placed in the cartridge holder. That is, water in yellow cartridge must sit in the slot for yellow cartridge and not other colours.

Can someone with the experience in refilling this colour cartridge place help out?

NoWaste

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Icehaid, have you sovle the problem? and the refilling?

tissouth

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Check the facts, I think the 3240c uses the LC 41 Cartridge, if I am right there is no sponge in the cartridge, and at the end of filling, we need to take out of a millimeter of ink to get out the excess air so it will stay presurized. We use flat syringe with a tapered tip we get from R-jet tech (normally used for epson).
As for the water, I have never tried it, so I don t know, but used distilled water, (boiled and filtered probably ok)

icehaid

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
tissouth said:
Check the facts, I think the 3240c uses the LC 41 Cartridge, if I am right there is no sponge in the cartridge, and at the end of filling, we need to take out of a millimeter of ink to get out the excess air so it will stay presurized. We use flat syringe with a tapered tip we get from R-jet tech (normally used for epson).
As for the water, I have never tried it, so I don t know, but used distilled water, (boiled and filtered probably ok)
You are correct. There are no sponges in the cartridges, at least as far as I can see. This is proving to be more of a pain in the butt than it's worth. The fact that this machine cannot be set to print in only black ink is ridiculous, IMO. Regarless of the outcome, I will never purchase a Brother product again.