bravo 4102 chips

jamesl

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I have a bravo 4102. It uses easy to fill independent cartridges for each color. The problem is that there must be some kind of chip that says it is empty even though it has been refilled. Questions: what kind of printer (lexmark? hp?) does the 4102 use, and how do I overwrite the chip?

thanks so much

James

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jamesl Questions: what kind of printer (lexmark? hp?) does the 4102 use,
The answer to your question is Lexmark, :)
but you should have started a new thread of your own and not latched on to this..:(

jamesl

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Sorry about posting to a different thread. New person. didn't know any better. Will start a new thread.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
No problem! One of the cool new features is the ability to move posts into a new topic! :D

jamesl

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Message to "the hat" who answed "Lexmark" to my question: what printer does the bravo 4102 use. Which particular Lexmark printer, do you know?

And anybody out there know how to reset the chip (if there is a chip). Or where in the code does it record the levels, so I can rewrite it or delete it.

thanks so much

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Well does your cartridge actually have a chip? If we are talking about Primera printers, they use a bar code on the underside of the cart which are Lexmark. In the Bravo 2 printers you have to STEAM off the barcode decal and attach it to the lexmark so the printer will think it is real.

jamesl

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am just now reading this message. Thanks so much for you time.

I am not sure if it has a chip or not. It does have a bar code on the side of the cartridge "Made in the Phillipines" with a number
GZCX16X7D2
How would the unit read the code if it is on the side?
I suspect if it is reading the code, it is recording the info somewhere in the unit or computer, then somehow measureing the volume of ink in the cartridge, and not allowing the volume to increase, by checking it against something it has recorded.
Any more info you can give is greatly appreciated.
Also, do you know the exact number of the lexmark unit or cartridge?

jamesl

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Also, I have a picture of the cartridge if you care to give me your email address.
thanks
James

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
Are there any other decals or sticker? The carts for the Bravo 2 have a product barcode and the undeneath they have a second multycolored Halftone pattern one that the printer actually reads to authenticate the cart as being color of black ink. On the other hand you may be correct on your current accessment. You might try to cover up the barcode on one of your carts and try to print something to see if the printer accepts it. If it's like you suspect, them the code is already recorded either in a chip in the printer or on the driver so it can count down your ink use. If that's the case, then I really don't know how to beat this. The problem is there is only a tiny percentage of folks using these specialized printers and so there's not enough "Profit" for someone to devote the time to reverse engineer this ink system.

As I was experimenting with the bravo 2 carts, I realized that if I did not have the barcode sticker in the right position it would not be read by the little laser the printer uses to scan the carts after a replacement. In fact, I do believe it scans them at during every use.
I'll PM you my email for the pic.