Brand new xp-960 ink not absorbing glossy side of thick cardstock

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
RXlJS

http://imgur.com/fGF4OPC

The paper is like 12pt really thick and I've tried all paper and ink settings and it just seems like the ink doesn't absorb fast enough or something. I can't imagine the paper isn't made for printing onto. The non - glossy side prints fine. It's actually cut from standard 22x28" poster board you can pick up at any store. Shopped high and low to find a printer that would take paper this thick (that I'm using for nice sturdy postcards) and am delighted to finally have found something that could take this. But this one issue. Any ideas? Remember I just took it out of the box last night. Functions great otherwise. And I'm brand spanking new here, so hello nice to meet ya and glad to be here

Last edited:

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, juntoo. There are some very knowledgeable members who use Epsons that can hopefully help you.

Please give a little more information.

- Are you using the OEM Epson ink or an aftermarket brand? I see the printer uses dye-based ink cartridges.

- What is the paper you are using - manufacturer, model number, type, etc. If you have a link that would be great.

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
Welcome to the forum, juntoo. There are some very knowledgeable members who use Epsons that can hopefully help you.

Please give a little more information.

- Are you using the OEM Epson ink or an aftermarket brand? I see the printer uses dye-based ink cartridges.

- What is the paper you are using - manufacturer, model number, type, etc. If you have a link that would be great.
Thank you. After and research in thinking it's the coating being that it's from this typical type of 22x28" sheet "4 ply" poster board, the glossy side isn't porous as all other gloss papers are, so I think I read. Am I right? And no, I'm using the oem inks. It would be nice if you could say I may be able to print to these (so I don't have to shamefully return them used for a full refund as I've been doing habitually lately to get all this right) with the right fix but I fear not. I've fiddled with every setting possible. Makes sense. These are probably made for other various purposes and not specifically printing. There is no helpful specs listed on their website (pacon) for this particular paper. Just basic dimensions and that it's recyclable and frim recycled paper. What do you think?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
what is the purpose this paper is advertised for ? Inkjet printing ? Is it advertised as a glossy paper at all ? Could it be that the 'glossy' side is a plastic/PE film on the back side actually ? If you refer to this company https://pacon.com/products.html I cannot find any specific inkjet papers in their product range. If you are in the U.S. you may look here http://www.redrivercatalog.com/ for a wide range of quality inkjet papers

Last edited:

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
what is the purpose this paper is advertised for ? Inkjet printing ? Is it advertised as a glossy paper at all ? Could it be that the 'glossy' side is a plastic/PE film on the back side actually ?
You're probably right. Here :

https://pacon.com/poster-board-354/super-value-poster-board-22-x-28-white-50-sheets.html

Doesn't say much but I could see what you're saying about it being a film correct. The other side you can see /feel the fiber. Gloss side is definitely a film. Thanks

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
If there is a water resistant coating on your substrate, it will be unsuitable for (almost all) water-based inkjet printing. Other specialty "inks" might work, but that might require a special printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@turbguy has hit the nail on the head, this poster board is totally unsuitable for any water base applications, (Including inkjets) it’s made from recycled Kraft paper and the colours will run and bleach.

You could try their Artist Watercolour Paper Product Number 4933 or redrivercatalog.com suggested by @Ink stained Fingers..

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
Thanks for the help.

juntjoo

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
XP-960
From Pacon:

"Regarding item 0076510, Pacon Super Value Poster Board, this product is not coated. We use 11 pt white tagboard in this item."

Tagboard? Whatever it is it doesn't absorb. No "posterboard" I've found prints from an inkjet. Actually I was lucky for a bit with my HP 3632 cheap inkjet before it started with all the problems, long story with so many inconsistent details, but it did print a few sheets decent. I'm going to consider a laser printer at this point so I can use this paper as it's easy to find and nice and postcard thick and cheap. Otherwise I may keep this nice Epson and find suitable paper online.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'm going to consider a laser printer at this point so I can use this paper as it's easy to find and nice and postcard thick and cheap.
If you go Laser, then you’ll need to get one that has an almost straight through manual paper path, laser printers normally don’t do card stock in the paper cassettes...:(