black nozzle check often totally blank

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1430 HP 932 Canon iP8720
More often than any other issue, it seems there's something peculiar about the black cart. In my 1400 I'm using the Eb6 inkset, the black position being 100% Eboni ink and the other five containing dilutions from 30% down to about 2%. In my 1430 I'm set up for color prints, using Inkjet Mall's Inkthrift CL inkset in the EZ Fill cartridges.

In both printers the most prevalent issue is a totally blank space where there ought to be some indication of the black, but no, not a hint of black. It usually clears up with a single Head Cleaning or sometimes a purge pattern. On both printers I've used underhead cleaning with paper towel and Piezoflush, capping station and wiper blade cleaning, wiping around the nipples, and as a last resort the pull-push syringe procedure - these all with Piezoflush as well. But when one or all of these techniquesI do give me black, the next day it will be too often be 100% blank again.

I've posted here often enough that the patient members may groan when they see my name on another post. But this post is a little different in that I"m focusing on the black cartridge and that the issue is shared by virtually the same printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Been ignorant about Epson printers, so take this advice with a grain of salt, if this ink is pigment, which I suspect it is, then try vigorous shaking the black cart before your start any activity on the printer, i.e. immediately on start-up.

Either the ink is not suitable for the printer or the printer is not suitable for the ink ?, try changing one of them, because it shouldn’t keep on happening.
I've posted here often enough that the patient members may groan when they see my name on another post.
P.S. Paul, you keep posting as much as you like, it’s your privilege... :)

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Good thoughts, @The Hat , and yes the black in the 1400 inkset, Eb6, is indeed a pigment ink. However the black in the 1430's inkset is a dye ink. Shaking the black cart before a printing session is a good idea, the only problem is that I need to remove the cart to do so. Re-seating that cart starts up a priming routine which uses a lot of ink, and there's no way I know of to bypass that routine. The carts only hold about 10-12 ml.

Thanks for your ok to keep posting!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Paul W., Take hold of one end of the printer and shake it, if that’s at all possible, the Canon Pro printers shake themselves like crazy before a print run...:ep

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
@The Hat and @apetitphoto :

I have to confess I was skeptical about shaking the printer, it's too unwieldy (a 1400) to even try it. But then I thought heck, why not give it a try. OK, so it's been several days, time enough for the black cart to get uncooperative. But I grabbed the printer, one hand at each end, I shook the cartridge end quite vigorously, the other end resting on the desk. Got a an excellent black pattern! Only two dashes empty, and they're on separate rows. I've learned these kinds of gaps usually work themselves out after the first print, not worth wasting a lot of ink using the Epson Head Cleaning utility.

Signed, a grateful convert.

Last edited:

J.Emmett Turner

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 3880; CR-10; C250DN; E809a
This kept happening to me on a different Epson printer (Pro 3880) shortly after replacing PK and switching to it from MK. PK was dribbling out, leaving air in the head. That also explains why my old PK cart was completely empty when the printer thought I still had nearly 70% remaining. Any way to tell if yours is draining into the cap station/purge pad?

Paul W.

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Any way to tell if yours is draining into the cap station/purge pad?

Hello J. Emmett, I'm not sure you were asking me or the thread in general. However, my answer is that, no, I don't know of such a way.

Sorry!

Last edited:

J.Emmett Turner

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 3880; CR-10; C250DN; E809a
On my printer it is due to a faulty black ink switch valve (switches between MK and PK). I don't know what would cause something similar in a printer without a black ink switch valve but I figured there were enough similarities to point it out in case it could lead to the cause of your problem. Good luck!

Latest posts