Black Inctek ink too viscous... again!

Namo

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP8715, P900, Roland LEF-200
Hi,

I am new here. I am using Inctek inks on an ekuten CISS running on an HP8715, and getting the same clogging issues a few other posts have been describing, regarding the black ink clogging the printhead, overwhelming the captop sponges, and generally making a mess inside the printer — coating everything with a fine layer of black ink, etc. This black gunk even killed my previous printer!

The other Inktec inks are fine ( CMY ) — just black ( ref. HP5088 ) is the problem ( though the cyan looks a bit dark to me ). I used to think, before I found this website, that there was something wrong with my CISS setup, like maybe with the dampers, or the CISS black cartridge, specifically ( heck, I even replaced the CISS ink line! ), but I am getting a sense that there is indeed something wrong with the viscosity of Inktec's black pigment inks, apparently.

As a test, using an eyedropper, I put a few drops of all the inks at the top of an inclined pane of glass, and sure enough, the black drip was a lot slower ( ergo: more viscous — which, theoretically, implies more ink pressure as well, all things being the same, contributing to oozing on the printhead ).

3 questions:

• Has anyone tried diluting Inktec's black ink with maybe 10-15% distilled water (I still have quite a bit left; it would be a shame to toss it)?
  • How common is this Inctek black ink clogging issue?
  • Finally, what pigment ink substitute would be best, in terms of quality + reliability, for my HP — and does the printer brand even matter, as far as non-OEM inkjet inks ( sorry for the noob question )?

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
As a test, using an eyedropper, I put a few drops of all the inks at the top of an inclined pane of glass, and sure enough, the black drip was a lot slower ( ergo: more viscous
Did you do the same test with the genuine HP inks - so that you can compare the black inks ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I am new here. I am using Inctek inks on an ekuten CISS running on an HP8715,
I assume you are referring to Inktec ink and not Inctek ink, but with the many pigment inks that are around, it’s not easy to find a good replacement, there are two different black pigment inks, MBK and PBK black, that you need to be mindful of..

I would recommend you try Canon 56 BK pigment bottled ink, you can look up this ink on the Canon website, because it works with no clogging issues and doesn’t cost the earth..

P.S. Try not to post your problems in two places on the forum, it rends to confuse everyone, so please delete the other one..

Namo

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
I assume you are referring to Inktec ink and not Inctek ink, but with the many pigment inks that are around, it’s not easy to find a good replacement, there are two different black pigment inks, MBK and PBK black, that you need to be mindful of..

I would recommend you try Canon 56 BK pigment bottled ink, you can look up this ink on the Canon website, because it works with no clogging issues and doesn’t cost the earth..

P.S. Try not to post your problems in two places on the forum, it rends to confuse everyone, so please delete the other one..

Right, I meant Inktec — not Inctek — which is Korean pigment ink.

Thank you for the brand referral. I'll try it next. I thought Inktec was high-quality stuff ( as it sure gives nice, deep blacks and saturated colors ), but on the other hand, the black has been on the gunky side since the start, and getting worse, it seems, over time. It took a while ( and one dead printer + an extra printhead ) to track down the problem, as I thought components of the CISS were the cause; I never imagined that one of the colors was more viscous, and that this could be an issue.

On the plus side, I am getting really good at cleaning up — 'de-black gunking' — printheads. I have the whole suite: hypersonic cleaner, steamer, and even a dedicated water tooth-flosser! ☺

P.S. I deleted the other post. You're right, sorry.

Last edited:

Namo

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
Did you do the same test with the genuine HP inks - so that you can compare the black inks ?

Yes, no problem with HP black inks, or even with other non-OEM black ink cartridges I have come across. Note: I have had no flow issues with the other, HP formulated, CMY inks from Inktec — just the black.

But, the viscosity test explains it, I believe. ...I'll try diluting the black with 10% distilled water and see how it goes.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm not sure that your test really shows viscosity and not surface tension and adhesion along the glass/ink surface edge, and adding water to the ink changes the solvent composition as a mix of water and some glycoles and the thermal properties - the amount of electrical energy needed per droplet ejected, it still may print but with smaller droplets. And I'm not sure why you would proceed with this ink since easy alternatives are available.

Namo

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
I would recommend you try Canon 56 BK pigment bottled ink

Unfortunately, the Canon GI-56 BK retails for around $35 to $50 — for 170ml. That's way too high for me. You'd get 1000ml of non-OEM inkjet pigment ink for that price; I just need help finding the right supplier.

Last edited:

Namo

Print Lurker
Reaction score
Printer Model
I'm not sure that your test really shows viscosity and not surface tension and adhesion along the glass/ink surface edge, and adding water to the ink changes the solvent composition as a mix of water and some glycoles and the thermal properties - the amount of electrical energy needed per droplet ejected, it still may print but with smaller droplets. And I'm not sure why you would proceed with this ink since easy alternatives are available.

Well, the surface tension, or viscosity, is clearly not the same for all 4 colors. CMY flow the same and way better than the black, and black is the color I am having trouble with, causing the gunking. Can't be coincidental.

They're mostly water-based inks + a bit of glycol. Would adding 10% distilled water really make such a difference? ...I could go ahead and try something else, of course, but I still have 600ml of this stuff and hate throwing it away. ☺

P.S. I am not a physics guy, but apparently, 'viscosity' is the resistance of a substance to flow.

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
generally making a mess inside the printer — coating everything with a fine layer of black ink, etc. This black gunk even killed my previous printer!
And did you have such problems before you installed the CISS ? There is a bigger problem than just the viscosity of the black ink. You dilute your black ink - it'll work somehow or not - but most likely kill your next printer as well with the same effect.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Unfortunately, the Canon GI-56 BK retails for around $35 to $50 — for 170ml. That's way too high for me
Yes the Canon ink is a bit more expensive, but nowhere near as expensive as a new head or printer, not to mention it will also give you trouble free printing..

To maintain your printer properly you will need to run the printer at least daily to insure the ink maintains the flow needed to prevent clogs and build-up..

What price do you put on piece of mind.