Best solution for printing postcards

loop

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i560
Hi,

Since ~3 weeks I'm looking desperately for a printer for my new startup, unfortunately I couldn't find anything yet. That's why I would would like to know if you can help me.

I basically want to build a service where the customers can upload their own photos and write a message then I would like to print this message and picture and make it look like a real postcard (similar to the tourist postcards everywhere) and send it per snail-post.

I'm software engineer so the service is not a problem, but to be honest I have no idea about printers (affordable ~1000€), inks, papers (300 to 600 gm/qm), etc. I don't know what to buy...

I really appreciate if you can help me with this. And please let me know if you need some help with computers (specially with Macs and software
smile.gif
)

Thank you in advance and best regards

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Hi,

Since ~3 weeks I'm looking desperately for a printer for my new startup, unfortunately I couldn't find anything yet. That's why I would would like to know if you can help me.

I basically want to build a service where the customers can upload their own photos and write a message then I would like to print this message and picture and make it look like a real postcard (similar to the tourist postcards everywhere) and send it per snail-post.

I'm software engineer so the service is not a problem, but to be honest I have no idea about printers (affordable ~1000€), inks, papers (300 to 600 gm/qm), etc. I don't know what to buy...

I really appreciate if you can help me with this. And please let me know if you need some help with computers (specially with Macs and software
smile.gif
)

Thank you in advance and best regards

Short answer - it depends.

To give a meaningful reply would need some more info. Example

Assume you are referring to Her Majesty's Royal Snail Service. Small point, but there are participants on this board from all over the world. Different jurisdictions play by different rules.

Sze you intend? Caliper and possible some idea of substrate - glossy, matte?

How many of each do you intend - ie longer run of a few images (ie 50 copies of 10 images at a time) or a short run of many images (ie 20 each of 60 images at a time)

As in software engineering, if we don't know the parameters we don't know the solution.

With a bit more info I am sure some of our experts with give you some expert advice on this matter.

OH, and welcome to the board. Most of us are relatively sane, except for a few I won't mention in case they are watching :(

RS

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
A postcard is typically 148mm x 105mm which equates to. 5.8 inches x 4.1 inches.

So what i would do rather than hunt round for that size would be use bog standard 152mm × 102mm which equates to 6 inches x 4 inches photo paper (AKA A6) which is commonly available in pack sizes 100 or more. Most will not spot the difference unless they hold them up to each other or one on top of the other.

Go for a GSM (weight) of around 260 or higher and you will basically have what a postcard is (typical postcard is 280GSM).

Print a simple template on the back, something like this....
simplepostcard.jpg

And their choice of picture/design on the front using any photo software and paper size set to 6x4.

HTH

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Some suggestions:

1. Get a printer with straight paper path, to make sure the thick 280gsm paper will feed OK
2. Get a printer with built in CIS (like Epson L800) to make sure the refilling will not interfere with mass printing.
3. Consider to use HP officejet-pro-x-series with page wide print head, print speed is 70ppm
(http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ads/officejet-pro-printers/officejet-pro-x-series.html) this will make sure you will print very fast, but make sure printer can handle the paper (straight paper path) or DIY it.
4. Make sure you will choose correct inks print with ink designed for print head in the printer thermal heads for Canon / HP, and Piezo heads for EPSON, Brother.
5. Make sure you use proper colormanaged workflow with ICC profiles. User uploaded files will need proper processing so a color server (basiccolor etc.) is recommended here. Else the colors might be way off if user uploads some files with wrong color space etc.
6. Make sure you double check everything :)
7. Make sure you get quality hosting like webfaction, don't bog yourself down with dedicated hosting when shared will do fine. Webfaction allows what others will not.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Guess it a depends on how many you want to produce.

If relatively large quantity then 1up on 4 x 6 could be tedious and expensive.

A of letter size printer will permit 3up image. A3+ paper size will permit 9 up. Both would give economy of time and cost

Of course both options will require cutting or trimming. If a commercial activity the modest trimming cost should not be a problem.

RS

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Snail Mail postcards may also be subjected to wet conditions. Dye based inks are water soluble, so I would suggest using only a pigment-based ink printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@CakeHole and @Roy Slatcher you both got your “A” sizes mixed up as well as your postcards, depending on where you purchase your Picture postcards from of course.

The standard Picture Postcard are 10.5 x 14.8 cm (4 ¼ x 5 ¾ ) and the plain postcard for message sending are 9 x 14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ ) Picture postcards can also be 10.2 x 15.2 cm (4 x 6) in some places.

The idea of the “A” sizes are that they can be doubled up easily for instance. An A6 size with fit 4 times on an A4 sheet and an A4 size will fit 4 times on an A2 size etc., but for commercial printing purposes these sizes are useless and have to be increased to RA and SRA sizes for handling reasons..

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
@CakeHole and @Roy Slatcher you both got your “A” sizes mixed up as well as your postcards, depending on where you purchase your Picture postcards from of course.

The standard Picture Postcard are 10.5 x 14.8 cm (4 ¼ x 5 ¾ ) and the plain postcard for message sending are 9 x 14 cm (3 ½ x 5 ½ ) Picture postcards can also be 10.2 x 15.2 cm (4 x 6) in some places.

The idea of the “A” sizes are that they can be doubled up easily for instance. An A6 size with fit 4 times on an A4 sheet and an A4 size will fit 4 times on an A2 size etc., but for commercial printing purposes these sizes are useless and have to be increased to RA and SRA sizes for handling reasons..

100% correct, we are guilty as charged. Dammit - I fail maths again.

However the take away into from the message was really intended to be that if more than a tiny quantity is to be produced comprising a single image, then the obvious solution is multiple images on a larger printed sheet. Depending on quantity the printer size of A4 or A3+ would determine optimum results.

It's all those number thingy's that made my answer confusing.

rs

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
if more than a tiny quantity is to be produced comprising a single image, then the obvious solution is multiple images on a larger printed sheet. Depending on quantity the printer size of A4 or A3+ would determine optimum results.

I couldn’t agree more with you Roy..:)