Best precision printer

Tech9

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Borther
Hello.
I'd like to have opinion on what would be solutions for a good printer for printing with precision, and when I mean precision I refer to the exact spot on the paper it will print the information I want.
To explain it better, I have some forms I need to fill (print on the pre-made forms) precisely on that milimeter of paper, that exact spot, and when using normal printers with a box for putting the blank paper, or the printers that you put the paper on top for the printer to start pulling it in, you don't get any precision on the exact spot it will print as the paper can move in the tray even if you box it in nicely, printing it 1 milimiter to the left for example, instead of the exact spot it should be.

I don't know if there is any printer that can do this, but is there a printer that can for example scan a pre made form that is placed in a printing paper tray and print on that form without moving it, so we can know exactly the place it will print on?

I hope I made myself understood, English is not my native language.

Thank you.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Welcome to the forum, Tech9.

My humble opinion is to use a professional printing service consumer model printers are not known for their precise registration of the page and print to the millimeter.

That said, wait to hear from some more knowledgeable people on the forum, like our Moderator @The Hat.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I'd like to have opinion on what would be solutions for a good printer for printing with precision, and when I mean precision I refer to the exact spot on the paper it will print the information I want.
Any inkjet printer that uses a rear tray with a static left hand paper guide will print to within point 5 of a millimetre, when the right hand paper guide is set snuggly against the opposite edge, the higher the print quality the better the registration..

Tech9

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Borther
Hello.

Thank you for your replies.
Can you please show an example of a printer with a "rear tray with a static left hand paper guide"? I'm sorry but some words for me are not that easy to comprehend and get the picture clearly.

Regards

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Any inkjet printer that uses a rear tray with a static left hand paper guide will print to within point 5 of a millimetre, when the right hand paper guide is set snuggly against the opposite edge
And this is generally why we humbly defer to The Hat on matters printing. :bow:hugs:thumbsup

drc023

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, iP8720, MG6220
I've had numerous Canon printers with rear feed. Each had excellent print registration on all types of paper and envelopes. In the store do a test print of a few sheets containing text and various boxes and symbols or whatever they have and then refeed. Registration should be nearly perfect.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Can you please show an example of a printer with a "rear tray with a static left hand paper guide"?
This might help you understand better, the static paper guide is on the right side when you view the printer from the front..

Left side lay.jpg

Artur5

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
MB5150,Pro10s,i3Mk3s+,Voron2.4
@The Hat. Do you think that printers with 2 mobile self-centering guides are worse in this aspect than models with one static guide ? Of course it introduces another variable as it’s the precision of the mobile guides but, for instance, I don’t notice registration issues with my Pro10s. I’ve ran a simple test just now, printing a page of text twice in the same sheet of plain paper and it came out perfect. I can’t see any offset or fuzziness even watching with a magnifier. Looks like normal printing, only with a deeper black.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Do you think that printers with 2 mobile self-centering guides are worse in this aspect than models with one static guide ?
I tried both types of paper handling and got varying results with the centre paper guide type but excellent results with the left static type, try printing several sheets using 72 Dpi light Italic text in magenta or blue ink and then over printing in yellow, the variations show up more in the different colours..
Print speed plays a huge part..

Tech9

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Borther
Thank you so much for clarifying that! I will buy a static printer with the guide like that to try and print as precise as possible.
Printing speed should also be slow for a more precision result?