Best consumer-level printer that also prints CD/DVDs?

Lee Beck

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 640 and WF-2750
I'm aware that there are CD/DVD printers that cost several hundred dollars. What I'm looking for is a reliable photo-printer that also prints CD/DVDs and that is at the non-professional price (i.e., <$200).

I started with an HP printer several years ago and when that died bought an Epson 610. I was pleased with the Epson until banding started on photos and other graphics. I had installed some after-market ink so assumed that was the problem and decided to purchase a second 610 and to keep it unadulterated by replenishing with only OEM ink. I use the crappy photo printer for non-OEM ink and text, which was doing fine for that. The 610 was no longer available so I purchased an Epson 640 which appears identical except it uses a different model ink cartridge (not interchangeable).

Of course, the ink that came with the new printer gave out quickly and was intended only to get the printer set up. I've replaced the cartridge set with high capacity ones at almost the cost of the printer.

Now, my text-only printer with the inexpensive ink doesn't even print text adequately, and the nozzle check pattern shows terrible gaps in the printed pattern. I don't know whether the after-market ink is the problem or whether the printer has just run it's course and is expendable.

Burn me once shame on you - burn me twice shame on me. So I''m now thinking of changing printer manufacturers again rather than purchase a third Epson. My *OEM ink Epson 640* is almost empty and I'm in no mood to shell out another 60-70 dollars for another set of cartridges - but I may use it as my new backup-text-only printer and buy more after-market ink.

I'm starting to ramble and don't want to discourage readers away from a long post, but you get my drift. Is there a recommendation for a printer that:
  • Prints on CD/DVDs (a must for me)
  • Produces good photo-quality
  • is reasonable cost
  • has refillable cartridges that WORK (the Epson's aren't refillable at e.g., Costco)

Thanks for your thoughts.

John R

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro 100
Since you don't need/want an ADF, I'd recommend the Canon TS9020 or Canon TS8020, it uses PGI-270/CLI-271 which has refillable cartridges.

Latest posts