bad color when copying - any fix ?

te36

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various
Bought a new XP-820. When copying photo from scanner, the colors are way too much tinted magenta. Pretty consistent whether printing to plain paper or glossy.

I was wondering if there are experiences about how good or bad color accuracy for copying with these inkjet printers is.

I can not imagine that i could do anything to fix this problem directly, eg: no ICC tables to download into the printer or the like. But if there is, i would love to know.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
is the nozzle check o.k. ? Are you using Epson cartridges or by a 3rd party or doing refill ?

te36

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various
Nozzle check is fine. Been swapping orig and PC EV6 ink a few times, learning how to be sure making sure everything is fine afterwards (eg: print sufficiently many pages to get rid of the banding after cartridge swap, calibrate print head, etc.).

This observation is for Epson colors, results with PC EV6 inks almost identical (see EV6 forum thread), so for the purpose of this discussion its IMHO irrelevant.

My test run was:
Photo printed from Mac 10.10 drivers.
a) on 10 year old HP c5180 with some cheap 3rd party ink, b) on XP-820 (lets say with original ink).

a) looks a lot more saturated, rich colors. b) looked a lot less rich/vivid, maybe more magenta/blue'is. Argueably, b) did look closer to what i actually saw onscreen on my Mac screen. But thats AFAIK all a matter of calibration of th driverss (once my i1pro delivers).

So, then i took print a), and let the XP-820 scan&copy it. Became a good amount more magenta/blue'ish. Similar to the original b) print. Also took that print and copied it again, got of course even worse magenta/blue'ish.

The HP also munges the colors when used to copy, albeit not in such a recognizable color shift fashion. Maybe shifting the colors only half as much and rather blueish than magenta'is but performing worse in darker areas (loosing lot of detail there, turning it even darker)..

Luckily i don't run a copy shop, and for the usual copying stuff i want to do (ads, receipts,...) those color shifts are acceptable. I am just curious if this is "normal" and if there is any adjustment etc. that i could still do to improve this. I couldn't find any menu options on the XP-820.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Are you directly copying your photos onto photo paper again ? Is there an option to select the paper type for the copy process ? Every copy printer model offers different functions - some of those copiers just allow some brightness/contrast adjustments

te36

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
various
yes, copying directly to photo paper. The epsons menu only offers to select paper type but no color adjustments - at least i have not found anything ;-(