Backup Systems

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Using Win 10 file backup, I was surprised to see "Control Panel\System and Security\Backup and Restore (Windows 7)" as an option in Win10.

Having used Win 7 before updating to Win 10, I assume this is a leftover, but it is available and does work as an additional option to the Win10 backup.

Any expert guidance on why this should have been left available after the upgrade and recommended action, if any?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I also have this and never installed Windows 7.

From https://www.howtogeek.com/220986/how-to-use-all-of-windows-10’s-backup-and-recovery-tools/

"Backup and Restore (Windows 7)

Microsoft also kept the old Backup and Restore feature from Windows 7 around. It was available in Windows 8, removed in Windows 8.1, and is back in Windows 10. The Backup and Restore (Windows 7) tool allows you to restore any of your old Windows 7 backups onto your Windows 10 computer—likely why the tool is still around—but you can also use it to back up your Windows 10 PC in the exact same way you’d back up a Windows 7 PC.

Unlike the newer File History backup solution, you can use Backup and Restore to more easily create a backup of practically everything on your hard drive. However, it also does not feature File History’s ability to maintain older versions of your files.

You can find the tool by hitting Start, typing “backup,” and then selecting “Backup and Restore (Windows 7).”"

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
Thanks @stratman a useful reference, explains it all.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Control Panel in Win 10 seems to have many legacy functions left over from Win 7, or so message box headers seem to indicate.

I don't know enough about software engineering to comment on the practice, but it can be disconcerting for the user to see subroutines in Win 10 labeled with Win 7 header text.

Then again software fidelity in documentation is a lost art. Reminds me of the early DOS 3.1 (Remember that one - on two 5¼" floppies) error messages frequently said "Fatal Error". I could never figure out if I should call 911, or take cover from the impending explosion. Turns out it was usually something as significant as not locking the floppy drive cover or inserting an unformatted disk.

rs

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Back in the days of MS Dos were the good times, you could do all most anything with the O/S back then, it was a playground I knew and loved very well, and today with the newer O/S’s I am just a sitting passenger now.

The problems with Windows 10 is it wants to do the updates right away and conveniently forgets you need to use the darn computer as well, these updates can come right when you least expect them, but what’s the alternative.

If you have Win 10 Home Version then your screwed, you have no choice you just get the updates, but the Win 10 Pro Version lets you postpone them for a month or so, and the Win 10 Enterprise Version can stall the updates for more than 12 months.

But I reckon this is crazy, simply because the updates are for your own protection and when you’ve handed out a fistful of $$ for the more expensive Versions, it’s in your own best interest to have your O/S patched and up to date as quickly as possible...

So, which comes first.... The Chicken or the Ransomware...

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880

What goes around comes around. In the 1970's Bill Gates and his upstart friends were the heroes. Microsoft Corp was going to save the world and big bad bloated IBM was the enemy.

Fast forward 50 years and "Big Blue" has slunk off to the Fortune 500 world, and now big bad bloated MS corp is the enemy and the current saviors comprise Zuckerburg et al, and what is now laughingly referred to as the social media model. A pseudonym for the fake news epidemic.

Rant off

rs

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
it’s in your own best interest to have your O/S patched and up to date as quickly as possible...

Ay, there's the rub, Hamlet!

You've been paying attention to the news. Or, were you one of the unlucky souls held ransom?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Or, were you one of the unlucky souls held ransom?

The chances of me been caught and held for ransom are so remote because my son is a Cyber Security Analyst, and nothing gets past him, it wouldn’t dare...

Besides I did post up a very small program that would protect any PC it was running on from all ransomware threats and it was ignored by many here, which was a pity, because it works 100% of the time. (And it's FREE)

Tomorrow been Monday may well see more systems going down when they reboot their networks only to find the ransomware has reactivated, the threat problem may well come from within their own desktop computers in every office hooked up to the outside world...

I am amazed at how many organisations and companies are still running on XP or older O/S’s and don’t even bother to have backups of their systems or worse have the stupid backups on the same server...

The Microware hater weren’t aware that MS put out a patch to counter this latest threat back in March, and that wasn’t fake news, so please let the O/S on your computer upgrade and don’t suffer the consequences.

Here’s your chance to check this out once more. it can save an awful lot of headaches...

Capture.PNG