Auto Nozzle Check and Ink Mark Sensor Adjustment for Auto Nozzle Check

astecno

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
I have been studying the Epson Pro 3800 Service Manual and I saw one interesting note about Auto Nozzle Check:

The sensor scans a nozzle check pattern. The pattern is printed with the all nozzles and
each nozzle prints one block. If there is a clogged nozzle, the corresponding block will
not be printed and detected by the sensor, and a head cleaning is performed
automatically.​

Does it mean that when we run an Auto Nozzle Check the printer performs a clean only in the channels it detects a clog?

Also there is a operation in Epson Adjustment Wizard 2 called "Ink Mark Sensor Adjustment for Auto Nozzle Check". According to the service manual it:

1. Verifies the sensitivity of the ink mark sensor. Malfunction of the sensor or poor connection status can be found.
2. Corrects the auto position of the ink mark sensor.
3. Checks if the ink mark sensor functions normally using the auto nozzle check.​

Has anybody already performed the "Ink Mark Sensor Adjustment..." and saw any improvement in head cleaning?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
do you have any problems with this function, or how would expect any 'improvement in head cleaning'? Do you think it's not working on your printer ?

astecno

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
@jtoolman Do you know something about how Epson Auto Nozzle Check works: does it perform a clean in every printer color or, to the contrary, only on those it detects as being clogged? Thanks!

jtoolman

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
All of them! LOL
I believe it is for everything! There is no provision I know of in the purge using the would allow single colors channels to be individually cleaned. It will "Suck" on all the color channels.
The auto nozzle check will print one block per nozzle if the sensor detects it is a no go for one nozzle it will run a complete cleaning. over and over until it either decides that nozzle can not be cleaned then it stops and gives a failed result.

My 3800 has two permanently damaged nozzles. I can not run auto nozzle check as it would NEVER stop trying to clear those two bad nozzles. It actually is a very wasteful process.

Joe

astecno

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Stylus Pro 3800
@jtoolman Thank you for clarifying this topic. It was driving me nuts! Why on earth nobody recommends Auto Nozzle Check, which seems so cool on paper?! Now I can definitely understand the reasons!

Latest posts