ArgyllCMS and Nvidia

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have had problems - now solved!

Before Christmas my laptop broke - so I went to buy a new one.
An top Asus one - in the top dollar range and to that I changed the SSD for a much bigger one and throw out the HDD and replaced that one with another SSD instead.

However - when buying such "better" laptops you can not avoid getting on of those gaming-cards - In mine a Nvidia Geforce GTX ("hot-hot-super GT-xfast-xfast... something:)). I have no use of it so I closed that in device-manager and uses the Intel graphical processor instead. I do no video work. By that I also have less heat and noise from the Nvidia fan. So by now I thought I was rid of that problem. I was looking for good I7-processor etc for speed.

Now for the problem.
Same days ago X-Rite prompted me to update the Colormunki software. (I didn't think they did updates :)) Of cause I was interested and installed it. I also did a new reinstall of the latest ArgyllCMS.

When trying out the Argyll-soft using your excellent .bat-command-files - (thanks for those-fellows!) - I got terrible results!!! Totally out of use.

First I suspected that it was the new X-rite-software that was interfering - so I totally removed it with the help of "Revo uninstall" so it was really clean. Tested Argyll again - but the same catastrophe.
I tested many many more things - but noticed a line in the Argyll manual that there had been problems earlier with some Nvidia drivers.
To make a long story not still more longer I managed to clean out all Nvidia drivers and suspect hangons (long story). Registry entries and hidden not obvious Nvidia-progs.
Now my Nvidia is just a dead part of my laptop.

AND....ArgyllCMS is back in the game again. So is also the new X-rite software
That gaming-card with a huge number of progs, registry settings and hang-ons was to blame.
Also as a side effect - it feels as if the laptop runs a little bit more on steroids.

Did for fun some tests.
1/Xrite soft
2/One test with the bat-file 480 patches
3/One test with the bat-file 720 patches

My subjective opinion is that ALL are pretty usable - X-rite (7+ points) and Argyll 720-patches (8 points) nearly in par - to my own surprise Argyll 480 patches was great. I give that one 9+ points.

Conclusion: Your Nvidia Geforce GTX might disturb your Argyll profiling. (perhaps an interference of having both Nvidia soft together with the the latest X-rite drivers.)
(Inf: printer used Epson 3880 - with Cone inks and Sihl "Satin Baryta" A2-size and Epson driver.)

Left is to solve Printfab printing cut roll-paper 290g - whatever I do the print head hits the paper.
Is there a god Satin paper on roll that is easy to decurl. Sihl is very stif! When printing and ink hits the print-surface - the surface expands/swell and gives a new sort of curl - and that is in the printer. Changing platen gap is a hit and miss game. When profiling for Prinfab I can optimize ink usage, that helps a bit. I also ordered a "De-Curler" - let's see if that helps.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Hi Berserk,

I presume you used my 480 patch Argyll profile ? Yes: somehow this lesser patch target produces better profiles than the larger size targets. I think this is a magical number especially the B&W prints are much more neutral.

berserk

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes - it was your DOS-bat files I used. CAP480.bat and CAP750.bat.

Let me here put my enormous thanks for especially Your job, not forgetting the co-workers here, Your efforts, interest and creation of those files has made ArgyllCMS simple to use and understand.
Thanks!

Just profiled Prinfab - did the same test - and again the CAP480.bat-command stood out!
I have a feeling that the 3880 has a very linear behaviour and small misreadings/misprintings are disturbing Argyll calculations making profiles. Of cause limitations in ink/printer-gammut can make the profile not 100%.

I'm happy with my profiles - but I always do some small tweaks before printing knowing "this and that" gives a better print. Soft proofing here is giving me some support but color space etc are not the same on the screen as on the printer.
A good print always makes me happy!
Are You experts using some sort of pre-tweaking as well...perhaps using some sort of ICC-editor together with some app to always reach that last "extra" final touch to get almost "what you see is what you get"? That is post-tweaking the profile to reach - "here I am and can go no further with my equipment".

Edit: After me thinking :))) that is to make a set of of post-processed ICC-profiles regarding the dominance in color and the whole contents of photo itself. End edit!

/berserk
Sweden

Last edited: