Are CLI-42 cartridges keyed ?

Vancouverislander

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro100
Hi All,

I'm trying to get everything ready to change over to PC inks and noticed that their website states they are no longer able to provide flushed CLI-42 yellow carts.
My question is are CLI-42 carts keyed to only go in one spot?
Would I be able to buy another colour cart and use it for the refillable yellow once its been used?

Cheers

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Would I be able to buy another colour cart and use it for the refillable yellow once its been used?
Yes, is the answer, any CLl-8 cart will work for that purpose once it’s been cleaned and dried, but you have to stick on your own label to identify it as a CLl-42 yellow cart..

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
My question is are CLI-42 carts keyed to only go in one spot?
The chips on Canon cartridges will only work if the chipped cartridge is in the correct color slot in the print head and in a printer model designed for that specific cartridge model.

For instance, the CLI-42 Yellow chip cartridge will only work in the Yellow slot in the print head. You can swap the CLI-42 Yellow chip onto a different CLI-42 cartridge body, or even onto a CLI-8 cartridge body, but the Yellow CLI-42 chip will only be properly recognized in the Yellow slot in the print head. Otherwise, the cartridge will not work: CLI-42 Cyan chip in the Yellow ink slot of the print head will not work.

The cartridge bodies are the same. It is the chip and manufacturer's labeling that are different. You can use any color cartridge body for any color ink, flushing and drying the cartridge out first before refilling to prevent horrible color mismatch from mixing different colors.

Vancouverislander

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro100
Ok great I already have two full sets of carts so I could buy two more of another colour then flush and swap the chips.

Would that be safer then flushing the yellow cli-42 and hoping for the best?
I realise it will cost more to have to buy two more oem carts but if it will prevent a possible yellow Jello situation I think it would be worth it

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
could buy two more of another colour then flush and swap the chips.
Yes. Consider the Yellow CLI-8 cartridge as the color coding on the label is already Yellow. Just, flush and dry, then swap the chip, reset the chip and then refill.

Would that be safer then flushing the yellow cli-42 and hoping for the best?
That would remove the possibility of Yello Gello occurring.

Flushing of the CLI-42 Yellow sponge must be fairly thorough and should begin with Windex with Ammonium D or similar glass cleaner and eventually rinsed with water, such as @The Hat 's method.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
[Commercial disclaimer]Just to note that we purchased in the kit to clean cartridges some months back and are now making inroads into remanufacturing... I have a stack of cleaned CLI-42Y and CLI-8Y carts which I can make available if people want them.[/Commercial disclaimer]

As an aside though...

I did some experimentation on the whole cleaning routine with the 42Y's for obvious reasons and found that any use of tap water to wash with instantly "fixed" the cr*p in the sponges and made it near impossible to remove. I played with a deliberate contamination approach where I used cleaning solution and a percentage of tap water (we're in a hard water area that shows around 225ppm on a TDS meter) then vacuum boiled a few carts... The cartridges stained a low yellow with darker areas apparent. Repeated cleans using only cleaning solution and Deionised water (again vacuum boiling) did not shift this at all.

Compare that to cleaning with cleaning sol + deio' water (from the outset) and I get lilly white sponges. So it's pretty critical that you clean thoroughly and take the time on your solution. No short cuts...

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
o it's pretty critical that you clean thoroughly and take the time on your solution. No short cuts...
Appreciate you bring up the Yello Gello issue for discussion again, but ain’t you a tad late to the table, whilst you’ve been off raising a brood, we’ve kept everything ticking over here nicely and informed everyone to use the same cleaning methods as you have just mentioned. ;)

Anyway, I taught your inks didn’t suffer from the Yello Gello syndrome, so there shouldn’t be a need to alarm or inform your customers about it, is this correct...
Having been buying much ink lately, sorry..:hu

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Appreciate you bring up the Yello Gello issue for discussion again, but ain’t you a tad late to the table, whilst you’ve been off raising a brood, we’ve kept everything ticking over here nicely and informed everyone to use the same cleaning methods as you have just mentioned. ;)
I knew letting the kids play in the garage was a bad idea... ;) TBH, it's obvious that a lot of learning and experience sharing has gone on in my absence... which is actually pretty good to see...

Anyway, I taught your inks didn’t suffer from the Yello Gello syndrome, so there shouldn’t be a need to alarm or inform your customers about it, is this correct...
Having been buying much ink lately, sorry..:hu
Moved on to a new ink formulation and there was simply no point in taking chances so we moved to CLI-8 carts supplied as standard before moving to cleaned carts.. Besides we had to deal with the same issue in 551/571, etc...