Are all HP inkjets still using the integrated tank/printhead design?

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon IP4300 & Panny KX-MB271
Somehow I was under the impression that HP switched from their combined ink tank/printhead to separate carts & separate printheads. Or are they all still an integrated tank/printhead?

If so, is this combo a single printhead with all 4 tanks together, or how many colors (including black) they use? IIRC, 15 years ago they had a separate black and a separate tri color print assembly.

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Separate question; does HP does have some models with a fixed (non-replaceable) printhead like Epson?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for the reply, but just a list of carts doesn't really tell me anything. Actually it makes thing more confusing.
Am I to assume all of those "cartridges" are tanks only with no printhead??

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, but just a list of carts doesn't really tell me anything. Actually it makes thing more confusing.
Am I to assume all of those "cartridges" are tanks only with no printhead??
I didn't look at the list, but most HP cartridges are indeed tanks with no printhead. The integrated units are generally found on the cheapest printers, but don't give you much ink for your money.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I didn't look at the list, but most HP cartridges are indeed tanks with no printhead. The integrated units are generally found on the cheapest printers, but don't give you much ink for your money.
The worst case I read about was an HP black cartridge with a capacity of 4 ml and an HP tri-colour cartridge with a capacity of 3x1.3 ml. Printers using such small cartridges might be cheap to buy but are very expensive to run.

HP also makes printers that are similar to the Canon models with separate print heads and ink tanks. Here is an example. HP also makes some Pro models with large stationary ink cartridges and a built in CIS.

So HP printers are more than cheap two cartridge "Supermarket Bargain All-In-Ones".

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
The integrated units are generally found on the cheapest printers, but don't give you much ink for your money.
Are there any printers that really give anyone much for the money? :rolleyes:

The worst case I read about was an HP black cartridge with a capacity of 4 ml and an HP tri-colour cartridge with a capacity of 3x1.3 ml.
That should get one thru about a week of printing. I wonder how many after finding out how bad those are, buy that manufactures printer again??

That's somewhat good news that most have carts only. The question remains about the replaceable printheads, other than what Peter mentioned. Interesting about that one HP. I thought I was looking at a Canon model.
Was that a one time deal 10+ years ago??

Last edited:

ccc

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
HP T120
In answer to the question - "any printers that really give anyone much for the money?" there is an Epson tank printer and some others that use pigment ink (e.g.Brother DCP-T310.and HP Smart Tank 455). Probably the best bet so far. Dye inksets in tank printers are said to be inferior to the cartridges for fade resistance, (probably to deter re-fillers using the ink bottles from tank printers in other machines.)

Last edited:

videobruce

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes, dye prints fad, that is mostly well known (to anyone that has had any experience in printing), but for printing other than photos, that is really a moot point. ;)

But , since you brought that up, having that much ink in the printer if you don't do really heavy printing, is that a problem as far as the ink going bad (as opposed to have the bulk ink in separate bottles? I know either way the ink is in 'storage', but isn't having it in the printer somewhat more risky? :idunno