App of the day

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
So i thought i would do something on here which i used to do years ago on another forum.

BEFORE I GO ANY FURTHER... If staff have any problem with this feel free to delete the thread.

Anyway its suggest little bits of software that come in useful every day, but are free, legal and most importantly small in size (no bloated hundreds of Mb's to install).

Most of the software i try to suggest is apps you have probably never heard of (though obviously someone will have always heard of some of the suggestions) but once you try will wonder how you lived without them.

Some, now and then will be printing related, others will not, however they may be to do with other things which have recently been discussed in the forum.

Ive titled it App of the day though i obviously may miss a few days (i am human and do get ill or have periods in life where other things take over) it may turn into App of the week.... Anyway im rambling now so without further ado......

Todays first ever freebie app is for all those that have upgraded to Windows 10 and now want Microsoft to not spy on what they are doing. Its called....

WIN10PRIVACY
Click here to download

WARNING
The options in this app are vast, only click what you are sure you want to keep private. If you have any issues you can visit the site here... Click here for further instruction if needed

PS....
This should put your mind at rest now @The Hat re-this thread...
http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...e-your-dodgy-games-programs.10234/#post-85364

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I don’t use Win 10 and have no intentions of doing so for quite some time, and not because of any privacy issues, nor do I need an App. because I have my very own Computer experts at home to keep me from doing something stupid.;)

Question: Why do guys bother trying to protect their privacy from M/S when they have their whole life’s splashed all over Facebook and Twitter anyway ? :p

:bow Google is not your brother or your friend either..

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Sorry @The Hat i just assumed wrongly you had upgraded or planned to based on all the win 10 recent conversations in general.

Either way your post is still relevant and a good one for anyone concerned about their privacy in win 10. As i linked to in reply to it and as you correctly point towards here a computer techie can disable things manually but i thought this app would be good for those less technically minded and its also much more easy than faffing with the registry :)

Tomorrow/later today will be a little known about print related app ;)

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Todays app is more printer related. Have you got a DVD you want to print a cover for, how about a CD case inlay or print artwork direct to a disc. Then...
"Undercover10 is a small program to easily print Bluray, DVD and CD covers. It supports JPEG, GIF, PNG and BMP formats and can automatically scale Bluray, DVD, CD, Game Console covers and CD/DVD labels to the correct size. Other formats can be easily added via a graphical format editor. UnderCover10 is written in C++ using Microsoft Visual Studio 2013 and doesn't need a .NET framework or any other external libraries. And best of all... it's free!

UnderCover10 is available in 27 languages: English, Dutch, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Swedish, Finnish, Norwegian, Danish, Portugese, Polish, Macedonian, Russian, Greek, Turkish, Romanian, Hungarian, Brazilian, Chzech, Latvian, Simplified Chinese, Japanese, Catalan, Arabic, Vietnamese and Slovak translations are included in the setup."

Click here for further info

UNDERCOVER XP INSTALLER VERSION
Click here to download

Alternatively...

UNDERCOVER XP PORTABLE VERSION
Click here to download

I personally prefer the portable version, you can put it on a USB stick and take it to any machine to print cover art from :)

Enjoy.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Todays app is Bleachbit...
"BleachBit quickly frees disk space and tirelessly guards your privacy. Free cache, delete cookies, clear Internet history, shred temporary files, delete logs, and discard junk you didn't know was there. Designed for Linux and Windows systems, it wipes clean a thousand applications including Firefox, Internet Explorer, Adobe Flash, Google Chrome, Opera, Safari,and more. Beyond simply deleting files, BleachBit includes advanced features such as shredding files to prevent recovery, wiping free disk space to hide traces of files deleted by other applications, and vacuuming Firefox to make it faster. Better than free, BleachBit is open source."

BLEACHBIT
Click for Linux and Windows downloads

The app is similar to what many may have heard of or use/used before called Ccleaner although not as eye pleasing it is far more powerful and customisable. With the benefit of installable and portable versions, making it a very useful app
Enjoy :)

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Todays app is Nirlauncher...
"
NirLauncher is a package of more than 180 portable freeware utilities for Windows, all of them developed for NirSoft Web site during the last few years.

nirlauncher_screenshot2.png

NirLauncher Features
  • NirLauncher can be used from USB flash drive without need of any installation.
  • NirLauncher and all the utilities in the package are completely freeware, without any Spyware/Adware/Malware. This package doesn't contain any 3-party software, toolbars, Web browser plugins, or other unwanted surprises. It will not install any software on your system and it will not change your Web browser homepage or other settings on your system.
  • NirLauncher package includes variety of tools that you may need for your daily computer use, including utilities to recover lost passwords, to monitor your network, to view and extract cookies, cache, and other information stored by your Web browser, to search files in your system, and more...
  • For every utility in the package, you can easily run it, view the help file, or jump to the Web page of the utility.
  • When using it from USB flash drive, the configuration of every utility is saved into .cfg file on the flash drive.
  • On x64 systems, NirLauncher automatically run the x64 version of the utility, when there is a separated x64 version.
  • NirLauncher also allows to add more software packages in additional to the main NirSoft package.
  • NirLauncher allows you generate plugin files for BartPE (Launcher -> Generate BartPE Plugin Files), so you can easily use the utilities of NirSoft from a bootable live windows CD."

Click here for further FULL list of apps included

Click for downloads and additional addons/packages for Nirlauncher

Enjoy :)

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Daxtar's Shutdown Timer

Very simple but very useful app allowing you to shutdown/power off/reboot/logoff or make your computer go into standby at very specific times of the day.

Website Description

"Daxtar's Shutdown Timer is a minimalistic tool to schedule your System's Shutdown via GUI or comand-line. The Tool docks at the Windows System Tray to give you easy and quick GUI access. written by Martin Bachem"

Daxtars Shutdown Timer
Click for downloads

This is a great tool if for example you are downloading a large file and need to go out. Simply set the timer a few minutes later than when the download is due to finish and you can leave safe in the knowledge your PC will shutdown/power off/reboot/logoff or go into standby when done. Or if you have a windows server which you wish to power off at specific times of the day.
Again small and light weight and again free :)

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
One a few of you may know about today...

PAINT.NET
"Paint.NET is free image and photo editing software for PCs that run Windows. It features an intuitive and innovative user interface with support for layers, unlimited undo, special effects, and a wide variety of useful and powerful tools. An active and growing online community provides friendly help, tutorials, and plugins.
It started development as an undergraduate college senior design project mentored by Microsoft, and is currently being maintained by some of the alumni that originally worked on it. Originally intended as a free replacement for the Microsoft Paint software that comes with Windows, it has grown into a powerful yet simple image and photo editor tool. It has been compared to other digital photo editing software packages such as Adobe® Photoshop®, Corel® Paint Shop Pro®, Microsoft Photo Editor, and The GIMP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP
Click for Windows downloads and further plugin information.

CakeHole

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP610
Todays App is a simple utility...

Envelope Printer

Click for Windows downloads including portable versions

Author Description...
"Tweaking.com - Envelope Printer is a program I made for myself by decided to put it on Tweaking.com for free and available for everyone.

Each month when I have to pay bills I hate having to write out the envelopes (I am not lazy, my hand actually hurts when I handwrite). So I wanted to be able to print them out as I need them and have the addresses I choose. While I could have custom ordered envelopes I decided why not just print out my own and save money from having to order custom ones?

So I made Tweaking.com - Envelope Printer. Not only will it save and store all the addresses you want but it can even print out a picture along side your return address for a added personal touch to the envelopes. In this case my company logo.

So now when I pay bills and need an envelope I put an envelope in my printer, then open the program, load the address and hit print.

While I could have used MS Office Word and other 3rd party programs to print out envelopes, I wanted something that was far easier to use and that required a heck of a lot less mouse clicks to get the job done. The program remembers your settings, so once all ready to go you can open the program, open the address book, choose the address hit use this address and the click print. 4 mouse clicks and you are done :)"