Anyone still using a 1280 or T007/T009 carts?

DBDigital

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1280
I still have a 1280 and I am about out of cartridges. For a long time I have only used OEM and of course Epson stopped making them a bit ago. What do you use for carts? Do you refill the OEM, get manufactured, or get the refillable ones I see around without sponges?

Any suggestions? If I refill what is the best method? And how many times can I refill one of these before I should replace the cart? Since they have sponges I assume only a certain number of times they should be refilled?

Ubuki

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L1800
Not 1280, but my old 1270 used those exact cartridges.

I read on an ink supplier website (sorry I've lost the link) that buying refillable cartridges of those models will be of little advantage, because refilling the used ones is quite trivial. You'll find plenty of videos on youtube on refill methods.

I suppose you can refill a lot of times and they will just stop working if they do. Chip resetters seem to be cheap and still available, although you can also use the SSC Service Utility to reset your printer and hot swap cartridges.

I have good memories and prints. Those printers are great, I envy you for having one in working condition. Sorry I can't be of more help. I have a replacement head for my old 1270, but haven't installed it because I don't print a lot.

DBDigital

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1280
Well I have looked on youtube but didn't find anything for these carts except for one video showing poking holes in the top and sticking in a long needle ink bottle in and letting the ink drain in that way. Although It didn't look like it put much ink into the cartridge. Tons of refill instructions on the newer carts of course. I have heard that there are syringe tips to inject from the bottom.

Yes I love my 1280, but right now things are not looking good. It is getting hard to find cartridges, and even if I do refill them, I doubt they will last very long being sponge based.

I also ran into a problem with a "new" sealed cart I used I think plugged up the system (it didn't even have a expriation date on it which was odd). It worked at first then later on everything was plugged/clogged. Never had that problem before in all the years I have used it.

I got another cart, suctioned the heads (very gently careful not to go over 5ML suction on the syringe, only needed 2ml before I got air) and to clear them and now I have problems with air. It started having a few nozzles working, then with each head cleaning the head check was worse. Now it won't print a thing. Tried a bunch of powerful cleanings (using SSC utility) trying to get air out of the heads but so far no go.

Not sure what to do at the moment. I don't want to junk it, but at the moment things are not looking good. :( I know I might find a head somewhere but installing them is a real job and I would need the Epson service utility to align the new head. I guess you must have it for your 1270?

Last edited:

Ubuki

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L1800
Well, I see you're a more advanced user than I thought and you've seen the same video I knew of.
I know I might find a head somewhere but installing them is a real job
Maybe I was lucky, I think I got the very last one on Ebay, it was cheap so it was worth a try. I don't see any left for 1280s.

I would need the Epson service utility to align the new head. I guess you must have it for your 1270?
No, maybe I'll have to pay for it. However a user of this forum may have the 1280 one (check this thread).

Well, modern 6 ink A3+ Epsons have higher resolution than those older 12xx ones. Overpriced printers though. Printing at 1440×1440 (with Gutenprint) I get both high quality and good speed with my L1800.

DBDigital

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1280
Yes I think you were lucky. And I am surprised the same program doesn't work for all the 12xx models (1270,80,90)? I know the service manual I have covers 3 models (890,1280,1290). I didn't think the 1270 was much different than the 1280. Very interesting thread btw, thanks for linking it.

And yes I agree all the newer printers are going to be light years ahead in resolution capabilities, but the 1280 is 'enough' for what I use it for these days. If I can get it going again anyway.

Ubuki

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L1800
Now I'm learning a lot of stuff by reading the other thread you started.

They share the same external case, but the 1270 has a maximum resolution of 720×1440, while the 1280 and 1290 can do 720×2880. And I agree that those old printers are good enough in many cases. At 5760 DPI a newer printer can take a half hour to print and only with a magnifying glass I can tell any difference from 1440.

DBDigital

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 1280
Yes it is good enough for what I do these days. I did bring it back from the brink, although it is still a little cranky if I do a cleaning/maintenance cycle.