Anyone know why I was able to reset this empty Epson T58 Y (3800, 3880, P800)?

J.Emmett Turner

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro 3880; CR-10; C250DN; E809a
We are commonly told to reset before 15% with many suggesting not to let it get under 30% for peace of mind. My understanding is that the printer flags the cartridge as used and writes the value somewhere on the chip after it gets too low. Resetting early prevents this.

I have an Epson original T5804 Yellow that got down to at least 3%. I think I let it go all the way to 0% before replacing it but I’m not sure since it now reports 100%. Regardless, it weighs 78mg with the residual ink which is right where you’d expect a 0% cartridge to be. Looks like I was able to reset it even though it was way past the point of no return. What’s going on?

It was already down to 7% when I received it with the printer (Epson Stylus Pro 3880) and I ended up using the rest in an attempt to get the printer working. I had to order more Yellow and a Maintenance tank to even start troubleshooting, so I wasn’t neglecting it. I used the old style chip resetter that has the alignment bracket (one of the ones that can’t reset LK, LLK, and VLM). I’m not inclined to let it happen again just to find out if I can do this reliably, but I would definitely recommend attempting to reset your near-0% carts even if they shouldn’t work.