Anyone know how to reprogram a QY6-0067 printhead to use in a MX850?

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Apparently it is possible. I've got a QY6-0067 printhead from a dead MP610 that I would like to use in my MX850. Anyone know how to do this?

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I guess that "a dead MP610" means the MP610 will not turn on? Power supplies in Canon ink jet printers rarely fail. If a Canon printer will not turn on the reason is most likely a defective print head and/or logic board, so most likely your QY6-0067 print head is defective.

A defective print head can damage the printer's logic board, so installing the print head with or without reprogramming in the MX850 could kill that printer.

I haven't read about reprogramming the print head EEPROM to change type, but the QY6-0075 is the replacement type for QY6-0067, so maybe it is possible? There is an 8 pin SMD chip on the back side of the print head circuit board, which is probably an EEPROM. If you can identify the chip you might be able to use an EEPROM programmer to reprogram the chip. The data set to enter is probably the Head EEPROM dump from an EEPROM print from the MX850 in service mode. You can read more about reprogramming EEPROMs in this thread.

A print head that prevents a printer from turning on has most likely developed a short circuit. Reprogramming the EEPROM won't correct the short circuit.

-

Latest posts