Anyone have best paper setting for Ilford Classic Pearl on PRO-100?

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4500, 9000 MK II, PRO-
I have more than a full box of Ilford Classic Pearl letter size. Ilford doesn't even supply profiles for this product anymore.

I tried the Glossy II setting and it lacked saturation. No problem with the Smooth. I don't want to use the box of paper in experimenting if I can avoid it!

Sort of interestingly, I printed a very green and red based test image on every paper I have. Several from Canon, one from Arista/Premium/ two HP, one craft marketed type. The results of almost all fell into the the category of "virtually no difference" when compared to Canon papers and settings, side by side. In fact, there were subtle differences within the Canon family. Even my old cheap Royal Brites looks good, just not saturation or contrast perfect. HP Everyday with the same Glossy II setting looks "very good," but the HP Premium glossy is too red. But frankly, for a flower, nice punch!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Why don’t you print your test sheets on 4 ¼ x 5 ½ and save yourself an awful lot of paper and that way you can test to your heart’s content, try the plain paper setting and see what happens.. ;)

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Well, sir, I obviously have options like that, including the Pattern Print in the Canon software. I was just trying to not reinvent the wheel.

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
I have more than a full box of Ilford Classic Pearl letter size. Ilford doesn't even supply profiles for this product anymore.

I tried the Glossy II setting and it lacked saturation. No problem with the Smooth. I don't want to use the box of paper in experimenting if I can avoid it!

Sort of interestingly, I printed a very green and red based test image on every paper I have. Several from Canon, one from Arista/Premium/ two HP, one craft marketed type. The results of almost all fell into the the category of "virtually no difference" when compared to Canon papers and settings, side by side. In fact, there were subtle differences within the Canon family. Even my old cheap Royal Brites looks good, just not saturation or contrast perfect. HP Everyday with the same Glossy II setting looks "very good," but the HP Premium glossy is too red. But frankly, for a flower, nice punch!

That was one of my goto paper for years until it seemed to vanish from the market. Down to my last 8 sheets A3+

My settings on my Pro-100 using precision colours ink was

Photo Paper Pro Luster. Quality 1.

I have a profile I made using that inkset I can email to you if you give me an email address.

It is an old profile and can't remember if V2 or v4 profile, so the rendering intents may a bit flaky, but you wouldn't waste more than one sheet trying it.

RS
LATER EDIT - Breaking news - this just in:
Goto precision colours website - they also have a profile for this paper custom made for their inkset. Its at:
http://www.precisioncolors.com/PC42ICC.html

Last edited:

Paul Verizzo

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
@Roy, wow, that's a great catch on the PC inks. Guess I'll have to try some of Mike's new magic CLI-42 brew when I use up my factory inks. In the meantime I'll try the Luster setting. I always print photos on highest quality.