Any news on compatible CLI-8 carts/chips?

krnysgirl

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hello

Haven't read anything new on the progress (or lack of it) for refillable carts for the newer Pixma printers. I have the IP 6600D and have been refilling with Hobbicolors ink (which I love), but I really, really, want a chip resetter or good refillable replacement cartridge. Why, why why is this taking so LONG?? I can't believe Canon has truly outsmarted the hackers out there. And how bout the software hackers? Can't someone just hack the software instead to make it stop reading the cart info?? I don't know anything about this stuff, but I know there are some might smart hackers out there..

CanonPhreak

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Here is the explanation of the situtation I got from John Mills at weink about the CLI-8 chips.

"The CLi-8 chips utilize a new format for chip authentication, identical to those in the in the HP LasreJet 2600 color cartridges. Some of the chip authentication features are "unactivated" and can not be "reverse engineered" using the current methods for reverse engineering for older format smart chips. In order to provide a servicable 3rd party chip all of the features must be present on the chips in usable form. When you update the firmware of your printer or the firmware is updated for any reason, the unactivated features of the chips may be called in to activation. If the unactivated portion of the chip is not present on a third party chip, due to short cut reverse engineering, the chip will suddenly stop function with your printer.

Chip resetters for OEM chips will not be possible, as it was with the HP style smart chips, only with an aftermarket chip will a resetter be available."

krnysgirl said:
Hello

Haven't read anything new on the progress (or lack of it) for refillable carts for the newer Pixma printers. I have the IP 6600D and have been refilling with Hobbicolors ink (which I love), but I really, really, want a chip resetter or good refillable replacement cartridge. Why, why why is this taking so LONG?? I can't believe Canon has truly outsmarted the hackers out there. And how bout the software hackers? Can't someone just hack the software instead to make it stop reading the cart info?? I don't know anything about this stuff, but I know there are some might smart hackers out there..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Exactly like I was saying. Canon's engineering is hand in hand with Hp's as Canon supplies the print engines for many HP printers so it's no surprise of the eventuality. I truly suspect that the non chipped years of Canon was deliberate to capture market share and gain "recommendations" by users to others and more importantly what marketing guys call "Top of Mind". This practice of non chip would terminate when market share targets are achieved and time to "reap" the rewards would commence.

krnysgirl

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Thanks for the info..hmm..so it's not lookin to good for us moderate users who just can't justify going broke on ink for hobby printing. So what's a girl to do?? Should I chuck this printer and go by me a 6000D (I know where they are still available) so I can get the generic inkcarts. or..keep trucking along with this one refilling the oem carts until they stop working and then buy a new set - actually, I might as well by a whole new printer - the carts are $15 each where I live or nearly $100 with tax. Good grief...

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Keep Trucking with refills, I don't think Canon has their sights aimed at the refillers. It's the compatibles their targets are sqarely aimed at.

WP

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
G&G generic CLI-8 carts are now available online. One store sells them for $2.50 + shipping. No chip included though.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Well..if you can still find an ip6000 using the BCI-6 cartridges, go for it! Slow printer, but cheap to operate, refill, and compatibles are available.

Go for it!!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Hi folks, I've been very busy with other stuff for the past couple of months but I got an update from a 3rd party ink and cart supplier recently about what's happening with the Canon chips and alternatives.

In a nutshell, it won't happen...

Apparently the chips have multiple levels of encryption including 32, 64 and 128 bit keys at varying levels... As was described to me, these chips have more encryption protection than missile systems, or credit cards... Canon have also let it be known that if anyone actually cracks the system and attempts to provide an alternative they will sue under patent laws.

It's not all in Canons favour though official complaints are now being lodged and in truth I'm not sure how the encryption levels described could legitimately be called "consumer protection"... It's a tie-in, pure and simple... Of course it'll take years for anything to get done but in a nutshell it's refilling and/or CIS's using the chips in some way... No 3rd party solutions..